sport trac plastic fastners

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Reo

Reaction score
does anyone know how to remove te fasteners that hold on the plastic things on the bottom of the truck, i wanted to take them off to paint them and some of the fasteners have a screwdriver head which are no problem, but some are just like rivets that have a circle and idk how to get them off. if anyone know how please tell me, thank you.

Greg, this site shows the many different types of fasteners and what they look like installed and open or removed. I'm guessing by your description that yours are like the 2036T. Just pop the center circle out with a (very) small screwdriver and pull it out a few millimeters. If it pops all the way out from the outside, that's o.k., as it pops right back in once you get the main part of the fastener out. That center part acts as a wedge to keep the whole fastener securely in place when pushed back in.

http://www.autobodysupplies.com/Plastic%20auto%20body%20clips.htm

No, they're closest to the first one, the 2000T. Kind of inadequate IMO but they obviously work. I made a tool to remove them with, here is the store bought model.

24cf43c69ee9661c39a2f558b267fa97.gif

I have the tool Steve shows. Also I bought a set of four non marring tools from harbor freight, $5.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site, Greg! :driving:

Thanks Eddie! I am going to have to go get a set.

This one looks good too (from Harbor Frieght):

5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set

Item # 67021

Easily remove trim, molding, door panels and dashboards

Description

This 5 piece auto trim and molding tool set has everything you need for those specialized automotive repairs. The set allows you to easily remove trim, molding, door panels and dashboards and is made from a poly/nylon composite to prevent marring in the process.

Includes a wide edge remover, narrow edge remover, pull-type remover, handle remover and upholstery clip remover

Constructed of non-marring poly/nylon

Works on interior and exterior trim

Replacing item# 95432

Latest posts