Sport Trac in Snow-My Opinion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Barnes

Reaction score
To all:

For anyone wondering how a 4x4 Trac does in snow, let me share my experience with my 4x4 XLT with stock Goodyears: I live in the Colorado mountains and this year we have experienced a tremendous amount of snow and blizzards compared to the past several years. The Trac has handled this better than any 4x4 I have ever owned over the past 30+ years. I have owned the following 4x4s: '69, '72, '84 Blazers, '75 CJ5 Jeep, '95 Grand Cherokee, '02 Grand Cherokee and an '06 Jeep Liberty.

The Sport Trac is just short of amazing in snow and ice. I have driven through deep snow, packed snow, ice, up hills, down hills, etc. and the Trac is ALWAYS very sure footed. I might add that I carry no tonneau cover or any addional weigth in the back of my Trac. AND, the 4 wheel antilock disc brakes are awesome! I have had several times that the Trac has come to a smooth stop on ice where any other vehicle would have been going sideways.

Now, I must add that I am quite experienced at driving in snow, so exercise caution in these conditions.... But I am impressed.

MountainTrac

Wow....Mountain trac you are the first sport tracer i learned of that lives in colorado. Im down in Denver. Yeah this winter has been fun....blizzards.....dry March for us down here for some reason:unsure:

I agree with you. I've had several 4 x's and the trac is the best. My wifes Acura MDX has the second best results in snow and ice, but cost three times more. Tires will make all the difference though. The Bridgestone DMZ- 3 Blizzak turned my trac into a snow and ice gobbler. I did not ever drive carefully in bad conditions, I drove as hard as I wanted to and never ever slipped, period. I could slam on the brakes on a sheet of ice at 40 mph and the stopping distance was incredible, barely engaging the ABS and would lurch forward like I stopped on dry pavement. If you live in snow country, get them, and remember to take them off as soon as the threat of snow is over as the tire compound is soft and will wear like erasers.

I had two Rangers before which were okay, I think the Trac does well because it carries a little more weight over the rear.

The biggest difference maker is the tires though. Just wait till those Goodyears wear down a little.

I would have to agree (2004 4x4 XLT) mine has been great and I still have the stock tires and shocks, I just cant bring myself to spend $500 to replace tires with only 10000 on them. I will probably replace the shocks over the summer.

I think the weight distribution probably plays a big part in it. My last two trucks (single cabs) would not turn and back up my driveway unless in 4x4 in any snow or ice whereas the ST will do so most of the time. I have been very impressed with its winter time performance but cringe with every winter time ride from all the road salt clinging to it.

My 2007 v8 Limited 4x4 is excellent in the snow as well. I am very impressed with the all-season Michelin Cross-Terrain tires, they don't look aggressive, but work well. I think the narrow (235) tires combined with the weight of the truck really cut through the snow. And the stability and traction control keep you going straight - you have to turn it off to have some fun sliding around!

YEP! My 2004 drove in snow and ice in Washington State for two winters. Several trips across the Cascade Mountains via I-90 and US 2 going to Seattle.

Also to Spoakne , WA. I lived in middle of state. Two lane roads had more snow/ice than freeways, natch, and the 4WD made traveling nice and easy.

Unfortunately no snow in southern Arizona. :blink::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: