Sport Trac and family heading back to the world

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Mathis

Reaction score
Well got a job in the Tri-cities area WA so we will be relocating (my wife, 2 sons and I) along with our Sport Trac. Some in my reserve unit and I know suggested selling the ST but its been exactly what I needed and besides its next to impossible to sell it with a lean hold on it still (still owe 3,000 on it). When we get there we will pick up our Town and Country Van which like the Sport Trac bought it through the Post Exchange. Are there any good places to shop for after market parts for it in WA or OR or ID? Also is there any recommended trails in those areas to take the ST on? Going to miss driving it in Korea but this will be a new challenge for all of us. The ST is scheduled to arrive in WA around the end of December to beginning of January time frame.

Traveler,

I have been to the Tri-cities (Pasco, Kenniwick, Richland) area of WA. I had a client in Pasco, WA when I was consulting. I was there several times for about a week each time during the fall and it was very windy....and a very cold wind at that! I was expecting more rain like they have in the Seattle area, but the Tri-cities area is much more drier and requires irrigation from the Columbia River. Other than that, I liked the area...I'm sure you will like it too and wish you luck with your new job.

...Rich

Man you're in luck, there's thousands of trails out there within a hundred mile radius. It's high desert in the Tri-Cities but go in any direction and you've got some awesome mountains. I grew up out in Hermiston, Stanfield, Oregon area. I seriously wish I still lived out there, hate living in the city, even though Pittsburgh is pretty much a collection of small towns all together. Are you gonna be stationed out there to protect the Umatilla County Chemical Depot? :haveabeer:

Keep your trac. Dont listen to your reserve members...LOL

Thanks for your service...:supercool:

Traveler,

I live about an hour and a half west, on the Oregon side, from the Tri-cities area. In those areas, you can find just about anything you want or need, for the Trac and family. Any direction you go, all you gotta do is ask around. I-82, in WA. and I-84 (Oregon) can be a nasty highway to travel during the winter. Windy, yes. Even worse when the east wind blows during the winter. Temps are mild pretty much all year round, but, cold can get bitter! My trac had no problems driving in every type of condition the northwest can throw our way. You'll love having it still!

Good luck, I hope the transition is smooth.

I lived in the Tri-Cties for 8 years back in the '90s. I loved it. Head east or west for skiing in the winter, camping in the summer. The Columbia River is more like a lake in places, so boating is very popular too. I had a Grand Cherokee at the time and consider 4 wheel drive (plus winter tires) a must during winter. The climate is desert, and can get very hot during the late summer. A plus, you can watch the weather and visit the west when it looks nice. I never got rained on in Seattle! The drive to Portland along the Columbia River Gorge is the most gorgeous highway scenery I've personally seen. Interstate on one side, and smaller roads on the other.

For trails, we used to go on logging roads which can be found all over the place once you drive to the mountains. I didn't do a lot of desert trails, but they are out there. The people in that area are well-above average friendly. See a guy with dirt on his truck and ask him where he's been.

Thank you all for your replies, I plan to keep all your suggestions in mind. On the subject of tires. What would you recommend for tires when offloading. Here in Korea the selection was not the best either Kumho or Hangook tires and to try to get the others meant waiting a long time for them to order and it costing more with that being said what brand is recommended for when these do wear out? Oh yeah just got the price to ship my ST which will cost 4900 USD and if we can get it DE-registered and to Masan port NLT 13 NOV then we can get it in December if not then January-February time frame. :fire:. Oh well back to the meat grinder getting ready for the move next week. Again thanks for the advice and heads up guys.