Spongy Suspension

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Gross

Reaction score
Long story short My first sport trac was totaled in a roll over accident. Which is really ashame cause it ran and drove like the day I bought it it was just a little banged up. I was actally really impressed with how well it held up. Anyway I just got a new Trac its another 2002 same as my first one But Im not impressed with how it handles. It feels like Im driving a cadillac, there is a very spongy feel to the suspension. My new truck is from 03/02 and I think my old one was 04/02. One thing that I can see that is different is the rear leaf springs. on my old truck there seemed to be an extra leaf that wasnt totally in contact with the other leaves it seemed like it was there for when the bed is loaded. I guess my question is was there a signifcant change in spring rates or design from the job 1 to the job 2. My old truck seemed to sit alot higher than this one granted it had the torsion bars cranked but the rear was stock, and sat much higher than my new one. First thing on my list of things to do is some new ranchos I had them on my old truck and loved them i know that will help some. Any insight on this would be great I would really like to get this baby firmed up a bit. Ill have to see if I have any pictures of the rear spring on my old truck and post them to compare to the new ones.

The shocks and the adco sway bars would make a BIG difference in the ride. I'm not sure if the leaf springs changed. Were you the first owner of the first one? Maybe they had upgraded leaf springs in it.

Shocks first. Then if you want more control, change the rear swaybar. If you need more change the front swaybar.

Well that is what my current track looks like. I was looking at the project section and the rancho add a leaf project is what my old trucks rear springs looked like. I wasnt the first owner so I assume that there was some sort of modification. I didnt have after market sway bars on my old trac and And I thought the ride was good I guess I will just have to crank the bars and get the new shocks and see what that does and go from there thanks for the help guys. I wasnt sure if maybe there was a towing package that gave upgraded springs or not.

There was never a factory towing package offered. All ST's, and for that matter late-model Explorers and some Rangers, did come with an auxilary tranny cooler however.

Agreed, just get some better shocks and another add-a-leaf if you liked it on your old Trac.

After searching for the rancho add-a-leaf I cant come up with anything conclusive as to what to buy. If anyone knows the actual part number that would be great. Summit racing has it listed for an explorer with a 4 spring pack. Is it safe to assume that this would work for us?

Latest posts