Speed Control Issue - Dash Light Blinks Quickly

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Quick question, an intermittent issue has turned into a failure. When I try to engage speed control, the dash light blinks for a quick moment and turns off. I'm thinking the sensor has failed. If so, what is the part number for a replacement switch/sensor and how tough a job is it? 2003 Trac with 125000 miles.

I don't know if Sport Tracs were included in this recall, but years ago, there was a big recall on Ford Cruise Control systems because of a defective switch that would cause a fire. There was a big stink because Ford dealers did not have the parts so if you brought your vehicle in for any service, they would disconnect the cruise control to prevent fires while waiting for parts, even if the vehicle did not have a defective cruise control.

I know some people had to wait many, many months for Ford to get the replacement switches in stock.

...Rich

Hmmm, I'm wondering if this could be related. I'll have to dig into this further tonight. Thanks for the feedback Richard L.

The recall didn't change the switch, it just added a fuse so if the switch failed it would blow the fuse rather than cause a fire. Ford's band-aid fix.

Holleyman is correct. the Ford 'fix' was to insert a fuse in the circuit right next to the cut-off switch at the master cylinder. And, yes, the Trac was included in the recall. Ford installed the fuse on my '02 Trac.

I had the exact same problem...changing the pressure switch on the master cylinder solved the problem. All that is required is to unplug the wire connection, unscrew the old part, and put in the new one. I remember having a rag (and water) handing in case of any brake fluid, but nothing leaked.

Last edited by a moderator: