Spark Plug Recommendation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Sorlie

Reaction score
Which is I'm considering tinkering with the 4.6L in my '08 Adrenalin, aka the "Fire Truck." Current mileage is 23K. Looking for site members' recommendation for spark plugs. Thanks.[Broken External Image]:

Ford ones are very good - If you wanted to blow tons for Brisk - there is not a single horsepower gain on a Dyno with back to back runs - in fact one of the brisk broke down and had to be replaced - Besides the factory plugs last 100K or so - i would take that off your list - really

I would agree with l1tech.

I have found that the standard plug work just fine unless you are doing something out of the ordinary with your vehicle, like racing or heavy mods.

I have found that AC-Delco plugs work best in GM vehicles, and Ford/MotorCraft plugs works best in Fords. As dumb as they may appear at times, the factories know what they are doing...at least with Spark plugs...:grin:

...Rich

Nope, same ole 2 piece design. FWIW once the old plugs come out and you put antiseize on the shoulder of the new plugs you won't have any more issues...at least with carbon buildup causing the plugs to not come out or break.

Someone educate me. I've never heard of or seen a two-piece spark plug. O'Reilly website search shows spark plugs that look like what I've seen in my day - longer threaded part maybe, but all's in one piece.

Here is the stock plug. It is in 2 pcs, welded right below where the threads end. The problem has been that they snap off at that point.

[Broken External Image]:

And here is the Champion plug showing it is one pc.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. That really helps. Looking at O'Reilly offerings - Motorcraft SP509 ($9.49 ea) looks to be one piece, as does NGK Iridium ($8.99 ea) and NGK G-Power 1698 ($5.69 ea). As for what plugs are in the engine now - should I pull one to see? If I have the two-piece plugs should I replace them now?

I still can't believe you are chasing plugs when they go for 100K -

It reminds me of the Jiffy Lube guys trying to upsell everything including a new air filter because the K&N needs washed -

Although definately not necessary with your low mileage, the only upside is they will come out easier. But its whatever you are comfortable with. We did ours at 68K.

Sondra

For the record it's carbon buildup that is making the plugs break. Even with the new "one piece" plugs carbon is still going to buildup on the plug shoulder if anti seize isn't put on the plug shoulder when it is installed.

The bottom line per l1tech:

FWIW once the old plugs come out and you put antiseize on the shoulder of the new plugs you won't have any more issues...at least with carbon buildup causing the plugs to not come out or break.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really have to change the plugs (at 23k not really sure why you are considering it just yet) don't forget to check Rockauto.com and use the discount code that can be found via a Google search. Usually they have a bigger selection and the prices even with the shipping comes out lower.

Plus they send you a cool magnet to stick on your toolbox. Totally worth it.:banana:

I appreciate all the comments - and realize that changing plugs now is earlier than needed. I won't go to 100K though, just as I won't run the factory ATF to 150K as Ford wants.

Latest posts