Spark Plug changeout on 2010 V8

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson Ellis

Reaction score
Not worth giving any details, but if someone has a question, fire away. I was impressed by Fords engineering to make this a very simple job. The real rusty looking plug came from the driver's side nearest the firewall. Gonna make an effort to keep the cowl cleaner. I park under trees so leaves and pine straw are a constant nuisance.

[Broken External Image]:

You have the redesigned 4.6 3V heads. If it were a 2007-08 there's a good chance some would have broken. :supercool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...not necessarily true for 2008, because I have one and plugs I removed for replacement were the same as OP's.[Broken External Image]:

Interesting Vic, must have been a mid year change. Lucky you!

Ford changed the cylinder head design on the 4.6L 3V during the 2008 model year. Engines built after 11/30/07 should have the more conventional one-piece plug.

Yeah, I was nervous until I found out that my Trac has "standard" plugs and not the other kind. I did find the below YouTube video made by a Ford technician who has no problems getting them out - and quick too. Check it out.

I was impressed that I could get them all out without a U joint adapter. Just used a straight extension. The only one that I couldn't get my torque wrench on was the passenger side front, because the air cleaner housing and intake were in the way. It was the last one, and by then I had a pretty good feel for the torque with my normal ratchet.

The way a few of them felt turning made me glad I didn't wait any longer to change them out. I'm pretty sure they were the factory plugs. They all have a liberal coating of anti seize on the threads and dielectric grease on the connectors now. I've driven it a couple times now, and it seems like a smoother power delivery. Could be a placebo effect.

I recommend all who own the 4.6L motor buy this spark plug socket. About $18 from Amazon. Use it once and you'll be convinced it was a good buy. Works on the 5.4L too.

Also a must if any break. Keep it sealed for return and refund if not needed.

What is the Autolite part number for the sparkplugs for the 4.6 V8? I have a 2010 and the Autolight website only lists the V-6!

SP-509 Found it.

Why not OEM Motorcraft?

Nice tune up kit Vic. Why only FOUR plugs? LOL

Interesting Frank. Just Googled "Motorcraft SP462 vs. SP514 and this was the first thread that came up. Many conflicts regarding whether the

514 is one or two piece, or just an improved SP462. Either way, I'd be inclined to go with the newer plug. I hope yours all come out intact. GL

The Accel coils have worked out fine. Hard to say whether there's been any performance gain - between coils and new plugs she wound up pretty good on the test drive. I don't expect to have to change them for some time, maybe 100K miles? Amazon had good price on the full set, but they're made in China. Changing coils is an easy job; recommend the dielectric grease for the coils and anti-seize on the plugs.