Spark Plug Advice?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Corn

Reaction score
I am getting pretty bad gas mileage. I am just at 65K, bought my ST at 52K last February.

I just did the oil, and the filter.

Going to do the fuel filter this weekend.

Spark plugs might need to be changed. I would like to change them even if there is some life left in them.

Question: what is the best recommended spark plugs to use: I would like something that helps fuel economy / performance / electrical throughput.

I have heard from the advance guy that bosch were best but all he had were autolite double platinum. Any suggestions? Anybody ever use pulse plugs, sounds like BS to me but might be worth asking about

Use only Motorcraft or Autolite plugs. Other owners have had problems by substituting other brands.

I currently use Autolite APP103 double platinum without problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats all the guy at advance said. Only 3.99 a piece seems decent. I might give those a shot. I was trying however to get some gains even if they are minimal.

Highly recommend the autolite double platinums. I paid around $5 per plug, but worth it.

The previous owner put crap plugs in and they weren't gapped correctly. :fire:

The autolites, correctly gapped, have made a world of difference. :supercool:

I am currently running E3 spark plugs. I originally was going to replace them with OEMs but for the price I could not pass it up. Very pleased and happy with them. Noticed instant difference. Installed them at 68,000. Now have 75,000 and no complaints.

Every now and then you'll find Autolite APP103's on eBay for $12 for two 4-packs. That's how I got mine.

Stick with the original Motorcraft plugs. For the few extra dollars you might spend, you'll have ZERO worries about them not working properly. The Bosch's, Splitfires, E3's and such have never shown any significant gains, especially on Ford motors which are notorious for not liking off brand plugs. I know other people have said they work fine, but far too many have had issues with various other brands. Check RockAuto.com for good prices and do a Google search for a discount code that will give you 5% off your total purchase.

Carlos, your trac ran better 'cause old plugs had 68k on them. Ford will say 100k on plugs. That is not true for max performance. 65k is the most I push platinum plugs.

Thank you, sir, for enlightening me. The gentleman who owned it before me had it from 6 miles on the odometer. He had all his maintenance done by a local Ford dealer. Odds are the plugs were original. I still stand by my initial statement, though. Plus, they complement my CAI and Exhaust.

Carlos, the statement wasnt meant to be tacky. But you are talking to a 60yr old that has been building performance machines since 17. Mostly fords. I think I might have some insight.

Now I will leave you with your enlightenment. Of course I have no Idea what Im talking about.:cheeky::throwup:

Eddie, I am sorry if I came across in an insulting way. I was not being facetious in any manner. I meant it truthfully. It hadn't hit me that the plugs may have been the originals until you mentioned it. And I do respect and thank you for your input. I was just merely stating that I was one of the few people who have been satisfied with the purchase of a particular spark plug that someone had previously mentioned as one of many spark plugs that had caused issues for people. Nice jab anyway.:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts