Spare tire "shelf life"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Griffith 2

Reaction score
So I got to thinking this morning as I'm sitting in traffic what a oversight I have come across. I have an '01 Trac, WITH THE ORIGINAL SPARE STILL ON! I never thought about it because I haven't needed it, but how long should a spare be good for? Visual inspection shows no dry rot or cracking on the tire but I'm still weary. So..How often should you replace the spare is my question. :huh:

Our 78 Granada still has the original spare in the trunk. Never been out or on the road. If I have a flat I may not use it. Don't want to get it dirty after all these years. Still holding air and looks like it did the day it was born....cool huh?:banana:

It does still hold air but being 8 years old, I can't seem to believe it's safe to put the weight of the Trac on it.

I bet there are people on this site that still have the original tires from an 01...

According to an ABC report no tire over six years old should be used. I posted a link to it before ........ somewhere here.

My '01 also still has the OEM spare on it. Other than filling it up and hosing it off occasionally, I've never used it.

When my Revos are shot, I'll probably have the best of those 4 mounted on the spare rim and go with that instead. By then, the OEM spare will probably be 10 years old.

Why doesn't anyone ever bother to replace their spares when they replace their tires?

I have the michelin tires on my trac from the previous owner, but still the Wrangler spare.

Besides taking it off and lifting it and rolling it around for some Third World Fun, I haven't done a thing with it...hopefully I won't have to, but when I do get new tires, I think I'll go the extra step and buy a 5th one.

One of Jay Leno's Headlines (news that is absurd so he mocks it, fyi) was "Buy 4 tires, get the 5th free". Now while I understand where they're coming from in mocking it, in context of the spare, it does make sense. (Though I'd bet the ad wasn't made in that context)

If your car has a full size spare, you're typically supposed to include it in your tire rotations. That way, it gets moved around the vehicle and wears with all the other tires. In a perfect world, you'll get an extra 25% or tire life before needing replacements, although you will then need to buy 5 tires. But at least you'll always have a good spare.

I have an 02 and I pulled the spare a few months ago to replace shocks. It had been there so long, the sides were "dented" from the pressure of being mounted to the underside of the truck. I definitely wouldn't trust the spare for too long.

One thing about the spare is it is void of the sunlight. I think if you keep it aired and inspect it. You should be alright for get you home use. If you start seeing cracks at the rim edge, side walls or between tread blocks. Buy something cheap the same diameter you have on the ground.

There are alot of cheap new tires out there I wouldnt trust for everyday. OK to get home though.

I also have 'brand new" spare on my '05 ST. The four on the ground were recently replaced (with the same OEM Goodyear RT/S), but I was afraid to use the spare (dents from being mounted against the frame, and age), so it stayed as the spare. I did not rotate it with the others because it was mounted on a plain black steel rim. Next time I buy tires, I'll use one of the four on the ground to replace the aging spare.

OTOH, My wife's jeep has a spare on a rim that matches the four on the ground, so it gets included in a five tire rotation.

Well.. I have a 4 year old in the Truck everyday, I also have one on the way. I'm worried that if I get in the situation, that the spare will be insufficient. I may just be acting over cautious. I hope at least that I've have brought to light that it's something to be looked at. I'm replacing mine asap for peace of mind.

Ford replaced all 5 of OE Firestones[w/Michelins] on my 01 w/365 miles on the Trac, @ 104k I bought 3 new Michelin's & put the never used Michelin spare down as my 4th tire, 25k miles later still no problems!