South Lake Tahoe wildfire

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry Matthews

Reaction score
As some of our west coast members may know, there is a terrible wildfire burning along Angora Ridge just west of South Lake Tahoe, Ca. It started Sunday afternoon, fueled by 45 mph winds. 178 homes have been destroyed so far. I am in Sacramento, and got a call from one of my good friends about 3 pm on Sunday asking if he could 'use my house', as there was an out of control fire just down the road from his place, and he wasn't waiting for an evacuation notice! This picture was taken by him from the back deck of my house Sunday afternoon. It shows how close the fire is to my place... The back side of the ridge. I am in a safe location. Besides, I am surrounded by water, and there are no old growth trees close by...

He and his wife and cats, and another of my good friends are using my house as an evacuation center until they are allowed to return to their homes, which thankfully are still standing!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just terrible about that fire. Thank goodness your place is safe and especially your friends.

I have not been watching news lately, Still no idea how it started?

That pic is amazing ...and very sad.

My brother nearly lost one of his restaurants in the Glenwood Canyon (Colorado) fire. There was a large group of firefighters killed in that one. The restaurant was just across the road from the mountain where they were killed. Until the fire forced him to close, he was giving free KFC meals to the firefighters during their breaks. Fire is unpredictable and embers can be carried long distances by the wind, so being far away is no guarantee the fire is a safe distance away.

Krash,

It's members, and people in general like you, that make this country what it is. Terrible story behind it but a wonderful and caring response to that story is what helps us through. Good luck to you and your friends.

Mike Fazzina

Been watching it on the news. Pretty hairy. Keep us posted Krash. As long as you don't have a cedar roof then you will probably be okay.

We can only pray that no more homes are lost in that fire. I am sure that you were only too happy to open your home to your friends, and were happy that you had it to do so. I heard on the news that there were 215 homes lost as of last night. We pray that the firefighters can get it out today.

Well, as of today, the fire is 40% contained. They have found the origin of the fire near Seneca pond, and believe it was human caused, as there was no lightning or power lines, etc in that area.

The houses that burned were nestled amongst the trees. My house is built on landfill in the middle of a swamp... or estuary, as the enviro types call it. The nearest trees are the ones in the picture. I've got aluminum siding and a comp shingle roof. The former fire chief lives 2 doors down, and 2 current SLTFD firefighters live 8-10 houses down, so I think that I'm in a safe area, as the SLTFD would probably take 'special care' of my street...

I just talked to my friend, who said that they were letting people in down the street from him to pick up important items from their homes and then get out, but his street wasn't on the list... So he's going to try today to get in to get some items. I told him to take my mountain bike and ride in through the trails behind his house. Looks like they may be at my place through the end of the week.

And it seems that this fire has made the national news. I just got an e-mail from my cousin in Chicago wanting to know how close the fire is to my place...

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw this news I was wondering if it was in your area.

Scary stuff.

Wildfires are nothing to mess around with. I think more FF die fighting wildfires then structure fires...may be wrong, but I seem to recall hearing that from somewhere.

Hope all works out well for those involved. It should feel good knowing that you have

friends who feel that they can count on you in an emergency, and I hope they appreciate

it as well!:)

Good Luck...

TnB...

Well, I just got the call about an hour ago that the fire has jumped the fireline, and is now burning in the trees in the foreground, and that my neighborhood is under partial evacuation. Worst comes to worst, I'll be building a new house and getting myself an ORANGE Mustang... as mine is parked in the garage under it's cover. But my friends are still there, and they're going to spray down the roof, as they want to have a 'car washing party' in my driveway... (they're kidding.)

Well, this afternoon's flare up got us all going a bit... But the firefighters got it under control real quick.

Just got the word that my friends have been told that they can go home!

I will be heading up tomorrow afternoon, just in time for the wind to pick up...

Should be a REAL interesting 4th of July weekend in Tahoe this year...

I got up here yesterday afternoon, and the scene makes me want to cry! My beloved 'playground' has been burned badly...

As expected, there were several pieces of firefighting equipment sitting down the street from my house when I arrived. The fire advanced from it's location in the picture above. It came over the front side of the ridge before firefighters got a handle on it. We've got very gusty winds this morning, but the fire's almost contained and most of the smoke has cleared. It's a very sad day here in Tahoe valley...