Sounds like a office water cooler...glug glug glug

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok I pulled up to the garage last night and I heard what sounded like a water cooler when someone gets a cup of water. Glug glug glug....It would happen every 15-20 sec. or so. I opened the hood and tried to locate the sound. It was coming from the air intake box and tube. I also notice that the idle was a litte erradic..up and down a few rpms not to where it would stall.... So what do you guys think it might be? I just got the truck and don't know anything about it. It is a V6 4.0 rear wheel drive 2001 with 200k miles on it. Runs great...... Thank you in advance for your help

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as the glug glug. If the truck was just turned off. It may be the coolant traveling from the coolant resovoir/overflow via the tube to the rad cap as it's cooling down. Perfectly normal. Peak into the resovoir after shutting off next time. Next to the air intake box coincidentally. Carefully! You most likely will see the glug glug. May want to check the coolant level in the resovoir when the truck is cool and level. Morning.

The IAC suggestion there might fix the erratic idle. As for where the glugging sound was coming from....

Were there bubbles in the radiator overflow bottle? If you have bubbles in there while running or shortly after turning it off it is a symptom of a blown head gasket. Check to see that your oil is not milky colored or that there isn't oil floating on the top of your overflow tank.

A blown head gasket can also cause the idle to be erratic. If you have anitfreeze in the oil pan you will at a minimum need to replace the bearings along with removing the head, getting it decked, and replacing the gasket.

Were it me, I'd set to work on my Bargain. The gurgling sound is probably caused by low coolant level, so a coolant service would be first up. Don't be surprised if you find other cooling system problems though - especially if this truck's been neglected. Water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, radiator - or worse as A1cntrler mentions. If you've got low coolant level you need to find out the cause.

It may be the IAC and the sound you say that comes from the air box and tube may be the ST sucking air as the IAC fluctuates and causes the erratic idle. It can be more noticeable specially if the air silencer was removed from the air box and/or the little hoses that connect to the air tube came off.

Latest posts