Soon to be winter..rear weight required?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On my new 4x4, should I have to put sandbag weight in the back this winter to provide better rear wheel traction in the snow? Seems that the weight distribution should be better then an average pickup, but I figured someone here would have tested that theory :) BTW I will be running 4 new Blizzak tires.. [Broken External Image]:

I have an '07 4X4 V8 and I have no issues in deep snow. I add no weight to the truck. Works great for me. I keep hoping for 3 foot just to see how it would do in that deep of snow!

Your truck weighs nearly 5000 pounds, a 60 pound sandbag won't do anything.

Besides, your front wheels have traction anyway, its a 4x4. You paid all that money for 4 wheel drive...use it!

Snow tires on all 4 corners and stick in 4 wheel drive and the Sport Trac turns into a winter tank. I have X-Ice on the wife's 2001 and Nokian Hakkapeliittas on my Adrenalin. Both are amazing in the snow and on the ice without any weight in the box.

I used to have a liberty and it did a little better in snow in 4x4 but 2wd the ST is better than most trucks. In 4x4 it does real good with decent tires. Dec last year I switched to Michelin LTX and got rid of some goodyears. What a difference. Very good snow up to 12 inches and decent on ice too! no sandbags needed.

The Sport Tracs weight distribution is almost the same as the Mustang GT's, ST is 56% front 44% rear, Mustang is 54% front, 46% rear!! Amazing but true!! Thanks for all the feedback, I will drive IN the sand, not put it in the back! :supercool:

I put three 70 pound bags of sand in the front of the box. Makes all the difference in the world.

Latest posts