Sonar and radar

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Hovater

Reaction score
HO is my nickname at work cause Hovater is hard to get right. I don't know why..... 04 is the year of my ST. As for the sonar and radar, My brother has been in electronics for 20+ years and work mainly on comunications like microwave and line of site. He did an experiment with his police budy and said it worked. I don't believe sonar works against laser. I chose to believe my brother but I haven't tried it. I just put that out there and thought it might be interesting. I know it sounds stupid but it also sounds like it just might work. Believe it or not. I have no proof other than what my brother said. Everyone have a nice day and see if there is any truth to this. I haven't done any research on this. Good luck!:D

He did an experiment with his police budy and said it worked. I don't believe sonar works against laser. I chose to believe my brother but I haven't tried it. I just put that out there and thought it might be interesting. I know it sounds stupid but it also sounds like it just might work. Believe it or not. I have no proof other than what my brother said. Everyone have a nice day and see if there is any truth to this. I haven't done any research on this. Good luck!

What did he do? Would you elaborate, please?

he is refering to a statement he made in an earlier post.. that sonar blocks radar dectectors police use... Soooo in other words if you mounted a depth finder off a boat to the front of your trac it would scramble the radar detector and u wouldn't get a speeding ticket.

From what I remember he told me that the sonar would not alow the radar to bounce of what was behind it. it would be exsorbed oe disapated. with his experament he said the cop showed nothing on the radar when he drove by but this was in the early 90's. If this is true the surly there is some information on it somewhere.

Sweet, I hope you all find out the proper information. We could always just drop by a police station for information, but then ask a cop do a favor, but not give a ticket.... wonder if it could work..

Sonar = Sound

Laser = light

Radar = RF Energy

With 25 years in elex repair of military equipment, I can not see a sonar device that is mobile and can be powered by an automotive electrical system producing enough energy that when the sound was traveling through the air it could disrupt the RF of a radar gun or one of the laser speed detectors.

Now perhaps some sort of antenna that would capture some of the RF, delay it slightly, and then amplify it before retransmitting it back out could throw off the radar gun, but with a laser(LIDAR), I doubt you could do anything much as the beam is very finite.

If it really worked, we would everyone out there with a fishfinder mounted on thier front bumper :)

If it really worked, we would everyone out there with a fishfinder mounted on thier front bumper

I am dieing thinking about that. But why stop there??!?! throw an anchor on the back, some fishin reel holders + cooler, and make the trac amphibious!!! who wants to undertake this project!! :p:p:p:p:p :D:D:D:D :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Laser and RADAR are bother electromagnetic radiation of different wavelengths. Both act alike and they both travel at 186,000 miles/second, they both travel in straight lines, and they are absorbed by materials though different wavelengths get absorbed differently.

I work with Gamma Rays and X-Rays. The theory is the same with all of them, including radio waves.

Sonar essentially uses ultrasonic waves to travel through materials at different velocities depending on the material. The worst conductor is actually air. Ultrasonic waves, depending on the frequency, can only travel about 1". Steel has a higher velocity than water does with ultrasonic waves, about 4 times.

So, if a RADAR signal is trasnmitted towards a car with a fishfinder, or the like, mounted on your car, the ultrasonic waves would only travel 1". I highly doubt it would create enough waves to disrupt the air between the vehicle and the RADAR signal to screw the signal up.

I do know water can affect gamma rays and actually change their directions. I have personally seen this happen while performing radiography on a pipe thay had water it in.

As for a SONAR, possibly, a large enough SONAR transducer could disrupt enough air to cause the radio wave to be diverted or scattered, but getting your hands on something like that would be hard to do.

In the end it would be cheaper just to pay the ticket if you get one than to try to thwart the system.

Tom

The frequencies of SONAR and RADAR are so far of each other that I can't see anyway one can affect the other. I can see how SONAR waves could affect any sort of "lens" to divert the radar signal in any manner that would prevent the radar return signal from reaching the radar gun.

MikeC,

Ever see light being distorted by heat? It is possible for Sonar to do the same thing.

Tom

The bottom line here is that if any of this were possible and/or economically feasible one of the radar detector manufacturers would have offered this technology years ago. I suppose there is also the possibility that there is a law preventing them from doing so but I doubt it.

Caymen, yes, but for sound waves to move that much air around would require a lot of energy. The distortion cause by heat is the moving air affected by heat gradients. If there was enough energy from sonar we would be able to see the light distortion cause by the air motion. At reasonable levels, we don't. We can feel the air movement caused by heat convection. Put your hand in front of sonar and you will not feel the SONAR waves, again at any reasonable energy levels of SONAR. In my opinion it would not affect the RADAR in any reasonable manner.

MikeC,

Exactly what I said.

Is it possible?...yes. Could it work?....doubt it. Is it feesable?....No.

Knowing how Ultrasonic waves travel and how they react in air and other materials compared to radio waves and how they react, says the theory can be true, but actually making it work is a different story.

Tom

Latest posts