Sometimes I'm tempted by CL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Kolb

Reaction score
Sometimes I'm tempted when I find a v8 explorer for sale for cheap because it was creamed from behind and then multiple explorer sports for sale that look mint but the engine went. If I had an engine lift my wife would probably leave me.

How dangerous would a v8 explorer sport be?

Probably equally as dangerous as a V6...

They will both go 80 plus MPH. One may get there a few seconds sooner, but the end result is still the same...

I don't think it would make any difference. The Explorer Sport is not that unstable that a V8 would hurt anything.

On top of that, the V8 isn't that much more powerful than a V6 is.

Tom

well, you're assuming I'd leave the v8 stock :)

I'm getting more and more tempted, especially when my wife tells me she doesn't like the manual transmission in the ST and it's hard for her to drive.

They will both go 80 plus MPH. One may get there a few seconds sooner, but the end result is still the same...

Actually the dangerous part isn't how fast you get to 80+ MPH, it's how fast you get to 0 MPH from 80+ MPH...or even 30+ MPH. :banghead: <-- Splat!

Go for it, nice project. You can lower it beef the sway bars.

The explorer 302 was more HP and TQ than the last 302 'stangs. It came with the GT40P heads and a cam for torque, and a more efecient upper and lower intake. I forgot the power specs.

I was waiting to see a version in the 'stang. But ford was engineering for the 4.6 modular

Nonthing sounds as good as a V8.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horsepower figures fell off slightly in the last SN-95 Mustangs because the new "bar of soap" styling didn't leave enough room underneath the hood for the original intake manifold. Even if the donor 302 came from a SN-95 Mustang, there's more than enough room under the ST hood to use any factory or aftermarket manifold. There are plenty of bolt-on manifold choices that will work with the factory EFI, and range from long runner designs for more low-end torque, to straight shot all-out drag racing designs. For a relatively heavy ST, and with the oversquare 302 bottom end, you'll want the torque, trust me!

If you want a real challenge (and an almost certain divorce), see if you can find a wrecked Lincoln Aviator, and drop in the 4-valve mod motor from it into your ST. Bone-stock you'll be getting 302 BHP and 318 lb.-ft., a lot more than any stock 5.0 of that vintage. And the bottom end is good for twice that if you want to add a blower. :bwahaha:

MG,

I had a '94 sn-95 GT. I scraped the motor and built one. crank, pistons, girdle, TFS heads. Motorsport roller E-cam, 1.72 roller rockers the rest was extruded honed port matched cobra intake and wiring and a '93 cobra ecu. stayed with 24lb injectors. 190liter fuel pump. I was thinking a huffer, never did. 1 5/8" equal shortys with bassani cat X pipe. 2 chamber flo's 2 1/2" pipes. 373 richmond gears traction lok. Lowerd 1 1/2".

I forget the TQ the dyno show 376 rwhp. A freind had an actual '94 cobra with portmatching and 3 angle valve job on cobra heads.E-cam, Running a 6psi vortec. He only dyno at 427 rwhp.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts