Solution to Xcal2 on '07 ST - new tune files

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Freeman

Reaction score
Folks - I spent some time on other forums and posted a lot of details about how the '07 ST with the V8 isn't performing well with the Xcal2 (hesitation, sloppy shifting, etc). I found a tuner who had experience tuning a half a dozen '06 Explorers with the V8 4.6L engine. He offered to help me out just to see if we could get my '07 ST running better. Because the '06 Explorer V8 also uses the throttle by wire as well as having a separate Transmission Control Module, it made sense to give his tunes a try on my '07 ST. If he was able to get the other Explorer owners a tune that pleased those owners, I figured it wouldn't hurt seeing if he could make my '07 ST run better. So, we exchanged a few emails, did some tests and now have tune files that work great with my Xcal2 on the '07 ST.

I want to offer my contact to other '07 ST owners that have the Xcal2 in hopes that this will solve a lot of problems that others are experiencing. I want everyone to understand that I'm NOT trying to take any business away from Wayne. I met Wayne at the Louisville meet where he was working his butt off to get solutions to everyone. He even hooked his laptop up to my truck to read the post-TSB tune from my ST and send it to SCT to get us better tune files. He is a heck of a nice guy and someone who I trust to do business with! But, I know that he is VERY busy right now and focussing attention to the '07 ST crowd (which is pretty small) has got to be difficult.

If you'd like to try the new tune files, drop an email to [email protected] and inform him that you have an '07 ST and an Xcal2 and would be interested in getting tune files for your Sport Trac. I ran his performance 87 and 93 octane tune files for 3 days and am extremely pleased. Again, I don't want to take business away from our supporting vendor, but I want to offer this as a solution for those that want to give it a try.

Good work Pat. I don't have my XCal yet from Wayne. He said it may be a little bit before he could get one out to me. Did you offer this info to him?? Seems like these guys that do this tuning would get together and share this info..unless it is all every man for himself when it comes to tunes...

Thanks, A1. I didn't contact Wayne about this. No disrespect to him, but I wanted a solution soon (and I know he is busy) and figured it would be better to post my issue on other boards and see if ANYONE could help. Now that I'm happy, I want to spread the word that there is a solution, now. Playing middle-man between competing businesses might have delayed the solution. I know at least one of our members was going to put his Xcal2 on Ebay because he was so unhappy. So, something had to be done in the near term.

Thanks Pat, we all appreciate your efforts. I don't even have my Trac yet and I can appreciate the efforts that you have gone through to resolve this significant issue. Also, I think we all understand your position in not wanting to offend any of the parties that are involved. Great job.....

Now I really can't wait to get my truck. But until then, I guees i'll just hurry up an WAIT!

Pat -- Do you now shift solid between gears ??

I have the XCal2 now and the shifts are not solid, but I only have the 4.0 not the V8. I do feel more power, but I do not like the sof shifts.

Thank you for your effort to resolve the issue.

Terry

Has anyone gotten new tune files? Any feedback on how you like it? I've been running the 93 tune and LOVE it. VERY happy.

I only asked him for performance tunes. I HAVE been seeing mixed city/highway mileage around 17MPG when I was seeing 15MPG before. I'm not in the pedal as much when commuting becase of the increased performance.

Has anyone else tried this tune out? I'm contemplating on whether or not to get the Xcal2. So far my 07 V-8 runs good and shifts well for a factory tune and i'm seeing around 17 MPG with mixed driving and taking it easy on the gas pedal. It would be nice to have solid shifts like I have in the Vette because of performance tuning.

Latest posts