Soldier in Iraq

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry Mac

Reaction score
THIS WAS WRITTEN BY AN AMERICAN SOLDIER on his 3rd tour IN IRAQ.

I was just watching the news, and I caught part of a report on Michael Jackson . As we all know, Jackson died the other day. He was an entertainer who performed for decades. He made millions, he spent millions, and he did a lot of things that make him a villain to many people. I understand that his death would affect a lot of people, and I respect those people who mourn his death, but that isn't the point of my rant.

Why is it that when ONE man dies, the whole of America loses their minds with grief. When a man dies whose only contribution to the country was to ENTERTAIN people, the American people find the need to flock to a memorial in Hollywood , and even Congress sees the need to hold a "moment of silence" for his passing?

Am I missing something here? ONE man dies, and all of a sudden he's a freaking martyr because he entertained us for a few decades? What about all those SOLDIERS who have died to give us freedom? All those Soldiers who, knowing that they would be asked to fight in a war, still raised their hands and swore to defend the Constitution and the United States of America . Where is their moment of silence? Where are the people flocking to their graves or memorials and mourning over them because they made the ultimate sacrifice? Why is it when a Soldier dies, there are more people saying "good riddance," and "thank God for IEDs?" When did this country become so calloused to the sacrifice of GOOD MEN and WOMEN, that they can arbitrarily blow off their deaths, and instead, throw themselves into mourning for a "Pop Icon?"

I think that if they are going to hold a moment of silence IN CONGRESS for Michael Jackson, they need to hold a moment of silence for every service member killed in Iraq and Afghanistan . They need to PUBLICLY recognize every life that has been lost so that the American people can live their callous little lives in the luxury and freedom that WE, those that are living and those that have gone on, have provided for them. But, wait, that would take too much time, because there have been so many willing to make that sacrifice. After all, we will never make millions of dollars. We will never star in movies, or write hit songs that the world will listen too. We only shed our blood, sweat and tears so that people can enjoy what they have.

Sorry if I have offended, but I needed to say it.

I mean homage is definitely paid to the soldiers. I think many would argue that Jackson did more than just entertain. And I think there are many moments of silence held for the soldiers. I don't know that I feel this guy necessary is justified in his rant. I am no soldier but I am also not Michael or a huge fanatic of his either. I just feel like this guy didn't care for Michael and just wanted some attention.

I think there are more people than he thinks out there who feel the same way he does...

While its true the majority of North Americans are completely enamored by popular culture and have lost touch with reality, there is a small percentage of people who are media literate and can cut through the bullsh!t.

I can understand how he would be more frustrated then I am about it, as I have never served my country in combat and in defence of the values that the vast majority of pop culture consuming North Americans take for granted.

i said the exact same thing that soldier did and i caught hell from some of my friends. I was speechless. i actually left the party i was at. i got in my car, turned my XM on to channel 48, Octane, a pretty hard metal channel, just so happened they had the same thoughts as the above soldier and I. I was finally happy to hear someone else who felt the same. A soldier's mother who lost her son in battle the same day michael died phoned in and let everyone hear it too. needless to say we shared the same thoughts. Don't get me wrog, i know michael did a lot of good besides entertaining, but i feel it is completely overkill. my 2 cents

I personally felt more for Tupac Shakur's death back in '96, than Michael Jackson's death now. Atleast Tupac was straight up with who, and what he was about.

While the author of this makes some good general points, some of his assumptions and generalizations seem to have lost touch with reality a bit...

Why is it that when ONE man dies, the whole of America loses their minds with grief.

The "whole of America" did not "lose their mind with grief". Many people were saddened by Jackson's passing, but very few, relatively speaking, outside of Jackson's immediate friends and family, could be construed as "losing their minds" with grief. The very few outside of his immediate friends and family who appeared to be "losing their minds with grief" had actually lost their minds long, long ago.

...Congress sees the need to hold a "moment of silence" for his passing?

Congress holds moments of silence for all sorts of people's passing. It's not that big of a deal. And while he may not have died in battle defending the USA, he clearly made a significant contribution to the overall culture that is modern America. To deny that contribution, simply because he happened to not wear a military uniform, and to therefore say he is undeserving of such a (ultimately meaningless) moment of silence is more than a bit narrow-minded.

ONE man dies, and all of a sudden he's a freaking martyr...

I'm not aware of ANYONE, not even Jackson's friends and family, saying he's a martyr--that is, someone whose death occurred because of their beliefs, and furthered those beliefs among others.

Why is it when a Soldier dies, there are more people saying "good riddance," and "thank God for IEDs?"

I have no idea where the author gets this ridiculous idea. Sure, there are a very few overzealous loud-mouth idiots at every extreme of every subject, but to say that there are "more people" (more than what?) having such an opinion, let alone voicing it, is utter nonsense.

I fully understand and agree with the author's position that our society, as a whole, pays too much attention to celebrities and not enough to the "everyday heroes" in our society--be they military, police, firefighters, teachers, or any other members of the politically-correct spectrum of "everyday heroes". But I'm also tired of constantly hearing that just because I don't spend every waking moment worshipping the ground that every military member walks on, and just because I was even slightly saddened to hear of the passing of Jackson, or Farrah, or any other deceased celebrity who didn't die in action, that I'm somehow dishonoring our military members, or a lemming to our modern media culture, or less deserving of the title "proud American".

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see, Michael died from drug abuse. He lived large and reported to no one. A soldier on the other hand dies defending this country, no abuse. The soldier always lives in fear of death with no applauds, no crowds, and not a hell of a lot of pay. I couldn't care any less over Michael's death. He did it to himself with his own self interest driving him.

A soldiers death is very tragic. ....Thanks to all our serving military and God keep you safe.

Bill V,

Just curious what it is you do as a profession. Are you an educator of some sort? I only ask because in every post I've ever read of yours, you are extremely thorough.:cool:

No offense intended whatsoever.

I can feel for this soldiers frustrations. When was the last time we saw a soldiers funeral on t.v. or for the most part in the paper. When was the last time we opened an arena up to the parents of a soldier to have his funeral with the city footing the bill.

For those of you who don't get it, talk about loosing touch with reality, the situation these kids are in has nothing to do with fantasy. It is for real, it's not a game, it's not just some website on the computer. Everyday is another day of risk for them. When have you ever taken a chance that equals what these young men and women take daily 24-7. And to think they volunteered to do this for us, that earns my respect.

If you don't quite understand what he or she is trying to say... well you have that right because many before this soldier have done the same thing this one is doing and many have died to give you that right.

Just for the record I do agree with this soldier whole heartedly, Michael Jackson was just an entertainer, where's the risk in that??

I am a Viet Nam Vet. I have listened to and enjoyed music from many artists. I get a little po'ed by some responses that I read here and other sites that, in my oppionion, make more of the death of a entertainer than of one of our service people. To those who have responded and justified your position, I respect your right to your opinion, I just don't agree. I have experianced the uncertainy of going off to war and questioning am I going to come home. I have also returned to find anti war protesters greeting me. To those who serve I say God bless you. Thank you, I pray for your safe return. To those that minimize our gratitude I say leave. Better yet, lets send your children to protect your ass.

I am currently on my 3rd deployment to Iraq.

Feb 2004 - Mar 2005

Oct 2006 - Dec 2007

Jan 2009 - To Be Determined

My personal opinion, I have lost several brothers and sisters to the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. We've had our memorial services for each one individually, but we count our blessings and continue the fight at hand even if its more of a peace keeping mission. There are STILL some iraqi people that wish harm on us.

Bottom Line Up Front: Pay proper respects and continue the fight - NEVER FORGET!!!!!!

shaun t--No offense taken whatsoever. I'm an engineer, working in the medical device industry. Everything we do needs to be documented in extreme detail to comply with FDA standards. I'm sure what you're noticing is some of that rubbing off. :)

When was the last time we saw a soldiers funeral on t.v. or for the most part in the paper.

Until just recently, there was an 18-year-long ban on photographing flag-draped military caskets. When the ban was recently lifted, both the American Legion and VFW condemned the move, and American Legion National Commander David K. Rehbein declared it "little short of sacriledge".

So if we use video or photos on TV or in newspapers, we're committing sacriledge. But if we don't put the funerals (and thus the caskets as well) on TV or in newspapers, we're unpatriotic and ungrateful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts