Software question (XP)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
I have a laptop that is dead. Needs new MB.... I never made the recover disks for the XP that is loaded on it. How can I use that key number to reload XP on a different machine or can I ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you still have the key, install it on a new machine. It may say you have exceeded the number of activations when you go to activate it. In that case just call microsoft and tell them that your computer died and they will just ask you how many computers is this key installed on. If you tell them 1 they will give you a new key

If you lost your key, if you can boot your hard drive up on another machine, you can run a product called "Produkey", its free just google it. This will pull all of your microsoft licenses installed....

Also, the license key SHOULD be on the bottom of the laptop on a Windows sticker (green and purple in color) It says proof of license / certificate of authenticity.

Yep, Their volume is so high, they now have an automated robot you can talk to that will get you a new key. You probably wont ever even talk to a person

How can I use that key number to reload XP on a different machine or can I ?

Won't work. OEM software CD Keys are linked as OEM software and will nt work.

Tom

You can reload XP all day on any PC if you have the product key. Only certain versions do not allow. Try a simple reload using the key, I am sure it will work just fine.

I think LaRue is saying that he does not have the XP Operating system CD ?? That means he would have to use the existing HDD in another laptop. That can work however you will need to to install all the drivers for that new laptop since the drivers installed on the old HDD will not work.

Caymen is correct that you cannot use the OEM operating system CD to install XP to another brand of laptop. You can however install any Dell operating system to another Dell without any problems or keys. That may also apply to other brands as long as they are the same brand as the OEM operating system CD.

...Rich

You are correct Richard. My laptop is totaled,,,(aser), All I have is the MS sticker on the case with the key number. I want to rebuild one of my old pc's to make a file server and want to use that number if I can,,,, don't want to buy software again. I have 4-5 copies of 98,,, could I use that to put on a file server?

Can't use the sticker on another machine.. 98 doesn't support NTFS, and barely supports networking so it is a poor choice for a file server.. I haven't personally used freeNAS but I have read lots of good things about it.

I've got a fried MB on my laptop also. Swapped the drive in another laptop but windows wouldn't load. Since my issue is data recovery, I just ordered a HD case to use the drive as an external. I'm hoping this will work. I used to have all my files backed up on an external drive but that had prevoiusly crashed and I didn't get around to replacing it before I lost the laptop.

Phil,, BOTH the mb and hd are toast. I tried to contact acer,, but they are buttholes and wont return any of my many emails.

Man it is good to see old names still on the forum.... How are you all? Sorry to steal your thread LaRue.... ;)

Hi Chiris,

Wow, long time nosee and have not heard from you in years. Post an update about where you have been and what's been happening in your life.

...Rich

Latest posts