So what kind of warranty do body shops offer again?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff C

Reaction score
Ok, in high school, my mom took the ST to Home Depot, and got in a wreck on the way home. Mangled up the front driver's side pretty good. We used the body shop the insurance 'recommended' after checking the Ford dealer and 2 other places. They came in at the middle price wise. Well I had factory fogs at first, which were replaced by some halo fogs (before the accident) because I liked the look (not the ones on eBay, but some from Hella). After the accident, everything was good to go as it was before. This past Christmas, I ordered the eBay halo fogs for the ST, and the driver's side didn't fit quite right. The cut off line that was visible on the passenger side was tilted and angled higher on the driver's side. I didn't think much about it because with school and work, I didn't get much free time to work on the ST. Well, school is out and I got a few free days so I decided to check out what was causing that embarrassing problem. I took the bumper cover off and if you look at the driver's side, it's still dented in. I called home and my dad found the paperwork on the job. It says "remove and replace bumper cover", then on a second line "remove and replace bumper reinforcement". Clearly (as shown in the photos) it was not replaced.

My dad will be calling the insurance company on Monday to make them aware. My question is, being almost 4 years later, how likely is it that they will make this right? I don't mind ordering another bumper from a sponsor, but I would at least like the insurance company to know that this shop charged them for work they didn't do, and that may get interesting.

How hard is it to replace a bumper? Keep in mind I've replaced body mount bushings and have plenty of tools and hands for help.

Pics of the bumper.

My ST all nekkid up front

[Broken External Image]:

Passenger Side

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Driver's Side

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

:angry::angry::angry:

That sucks for you, but it should all work out fine. Like I said in a similar thread just days ago, most body shops that are on the insurance companies' preferred lists offer a lifetime warranty on the work.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath to get it fixed, but rather to see what the insurance company says to the shop.

The bodyshop I work for warrities their repairs for as long as you own the car. Beside that is insurance fraud on the shop if they were paid to replace a part and didn,t.

If you can convince them, here is the place to report fraud in Al._Ron

Office of Attorney General

Alabama State House

11 South Union Street, Third Floor

Montgomery, AL 36130

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff...is that reinforcent seperated on the drivers side? broke? if they put that piece as replaced as part of the fix.., look how far back that thing was pushed WOW. even nine (in my library) was not pushed back that far! .SOMEBODY has some explaining to do.

There would be no issue with the lights if they had replaced it with a new or used reinforcment part.

tisk tisk shame on that body shop!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts