Snow tires for a STA

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil B

Reaction score
Hi all need some help re snow tires. When I went to price them for my trac. I got sticker shock $2100 wow!!!! So my question is as follows, can I put 18" rims and what size tires do i need to ensure other issues that may arise. I can locate 18" much cheaper and easier. The dealership said they would not put 18's on due to not the right size and liabilities etc. Also there was mention of the tire pressure indicators would be a issue is this so or will they just not work which I'm not concerned about. Also the fact that I must insure clearance for the brakes.

So what are the suggestions from fellow users

Went through this last year, I went with 18 ford rims off a gen2 sport trac with 235 65 18, it is the same exact circumfrence. I didnt spend the money for another set of bands, so i have the idiot light on in the winter for the tpms but it doesnt bother me. I bought my rims off of a member here and went with goodyear ultra ice and snow for tires. Worked great last year, would reccomend them for sure. I am searching now for a new set of summer tires for next year for my 20 inch rims. 255 50 20 if anyone sees any deals on those anywhere. Hope this helps, Jim

I used 2 sets of wheels. The stock 18" with Blizzak, DM-V1, 235/65-18. Cost less than $200/tire! I highly recommend this tire for winter use on our trucks. Performance is stellar... The blizzak LM-60 can be bought in the 255/50-20 size to fit on your rims. Price again is around $200/tire. Not sure where you're shopping, but $2100? You're getting ripped off. Go with the Blizzaks, and search the tire retailers on the internet for the best price. I paid no tax and free delivery from a company out in California. Had them in a week.

**Word of Warning: these tires have a very soft compound(this gives them their tremendous grip) They will wear quickly if you put them on too early in the season and leave them on too long after winter. I got 3 winters out of mine. On in mid-Dec., off in mid-March. Good luck! Bob

The DMV-1 tires are awesome. I've also used some Dunlop snow tires on the WRX and STi's my wife has had over the years.

Never needed snow tires on my Adrenalin. Even plowed with her. OEM tires were pretty good.

Picked up some Bridgestone Blizzak, DM-V1, 245/70/17 , read nothing but good reviews. 2100$ seems pricey even for canada. I paid 724$ (including a 70$ mail in rebate ) for the tires. Costco sells black stealies for 50$ a piece and i got my sensors for 150$ or so for 4 ( Orignal ford sensors ) from ebay. Could have saved abit on tires had i gone the tire rack route, and pick them up in platsburgh, but if i declared them at border would have worked out even alittle more expencive with tax and duty.

Latest posts