Smart switch replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allan Reed

Reaction score
How hard is it to replace the smart switch ( dimmer, wipers, signal lights etc. ) ?

My wipers have decided to only work on high and have lost their auto park feature.

This is on my 2002 ST

Thanks for any assistance or guidance

First thing is. Try tilting the steering wheel all the way up. There is a plug inside the column that stretches and unplugs. causes many problems.

I will look for the project or you can look in the project section. There is a repair.

I agree with rgt3000 when the wipers stuck on high in my wife's 2005 trailblazer it was the motor that died had to pull the fuse to shut them off. So my opinion is that it is the motor that needs to be replaced.

Fords common problem is the Multi Function switch. Do what Eddie said first and tilt it up and down and see what happens first!

Save yourself A LOT of time and headache and try replacing both wiper relays first. I had the EXACT same symptom in my '01 and that's what it turned out to be. For less than $10, and a 30 second swap, it's easy enough to just do that first.

Then, if it's not the relays, replace the multifunction.

Thanks fellow members

Swapped relays with horn and AC relays, everything now works

although contact spades on one relay looked like they had been heated.

Will go get a new one and replace it

Latest posts