Sirius Radio

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Hey all, ltns!

I have the Sirius setup in the STA and I cant help but think it sounds bad.... Its almost garbled sounding. I have a pretty high end stereo which is not the problem for sure, but for whatever reason Sirius sounds bad... is this just a low quality transmitter or does it sound like that to everyone?

I have Sirius and a Alpine setup in my truck and it sounds great. I would call Sirius and have them start sending you new parts starting with the antenna.

Mine sounds bad too. Not real bad but definately not the quality of my ipod or cd's running through it. But I need to relocate the antenna first, although my Expedition w/factory satellite is not the best either.

XST,

are you using a direct link, as in, the antenna wire directly attached to the OEM antenna wire? Or are you using an FM transmitter?

As with most Aux audio devices, the connection to the head unit makes all the difference in sound quality. Your connection will be one of the following, and depending on which you'll have different options, and inherent issues with use.

- Integrated FM Modulator: Most XM/Sirius units have FM modulators integrated into the unit. The upside is if you move the unit alot, there's no wiring to the head unit. The downside is that it produces a very weak, low fidelity signal and is often absorbed/blocked by your vehicle's body and interior, and can often be drowned out by local commercial FM signals, forcing you to change the frequency. A good antenna can improve the signal, but if you're going to spend money to fix the problem, look at the other solutions.

- Antenna-Fed FM Modulator: A device that takes a signal from any stereo line-level source and pipes it into the head unit through the antenna connection by sitting inline between the head unit and antenna lead (think VCR or cable box passthrough to a TV). The upside is the FM station will be very strong and will overpower anything else coming into your head unit. The downside is that being an FM signal, the fidelity is still a little muddy. It also requires a bit more skill to install as it needs a power source in addition to a direct connection to the back of your head unit. I did one in about 45 mins, tapping the 12v lead to the radio for juice.

- Cassette Adapter: The best quality connection achievable (IMHO) to a head unit that has at least a cassette player (I have an '01 ST with the Cass/CD unit), but no direct line input. I use this for my XM and MP3 player and get near-CD quality sound. Super easy to set up and produces fantastic sound.

- Direct Aux Line-in: The best quality signal input available for a non-digital source. Some head units have a connection on the faceplate, some have it on the rear as an RCA stereo input. I even had a unit that had a 3-Source Aux input module made by Sony that I mounted under the passenger seat in my Ranger. Most modern aftermarket head units have this feature, and due to the popularity of MP3 players and Sat radios, some factory units have it as well. This is the Ultimate connection aside from going to a digital interface connection to an iPod, but you said it's a SatRad, and so, most likely has a standard 3.5mm stereo line level connection.

No matter how fancy the sound system is, an AM station will still sound like crap. Garbage In, Garbage Out. Get a good signal from the SatRad to the head unit. If you have a nice setup as you say, hunt down the Aux line-in, tap into it, and enjoy! My XM on line-in was sick!

GL to you.

I am running a Audison Bitone Digital Processor w/ Audison 5.1k Amplifier on 3 10" Hertz Sealed Subs and Hertz Mille Mids/Tweets... Everything appears to be connected properly. It sounded ok on the stock speakers, but they are garbage, I'm just thinking that the higher end components are showing up the flaws in the quality. Stations like Howard 100/101 sound fine, but any music channels are very poor quality... poor enough that I do not listen to them and not because I don't want to, it just is a very poor quality.

I actually decided to check up on this problem online and it isn't just us (people who think it sounds bad) I guess after the first couple years of Sirius they started compressing more and since then it has sounded like, and I quote "a tin can w/ cotton balls" and really it does remind of something like that...

I signed up for Stern and if he packs it in after this year, so will my Sirius subscription.

Last edited by a moderator: