Sirius on an 03

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Nicholson

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have read through many of the Sirius installs but cannot find anything.

I was looking on Crutchfield at the FM Direct Adapter and it states the Vehicle may require an additional antenna adaptor. Can anyone tell me if this is needed?

I am using in my 03 Trac a factory pioneer with 6 disc.

Also, has anyone used this before? I heard the FM quality goes down hill a bit once putting this adapter in the mix.

Thanks..Jim

I got an XM for Christmas and it included a wire I had to put on the antenna outside for fm reception. Dont really like the look I may see if i can connect is somewhere else on the antenna to work .

I have used Sirius for more than two years now with no issues. I bought the adapter since the noise was bad and with this adapter you will see no static coming thru, and this is what you want. I had my antenna wire running thru the passenger side and pulled the wire through out the third light, no leaking or anything like that.

Jose

The SIRIUS FM direct adapter you linked to is the trick. I am unsure if you need adapter cables or not. Our '94 F-150 did not need them. An '03 Taurus we had did need them. I did not notice the FM signal reduced after the installation. (once you have Sirius, you will not listen to FM much anyway!) The adapter is a relay that switches from the AM/FM antenna to the Sirius signal. They have worked very well for us.

My XM has a built in fm modulator you have to set a station on the deck and the station on the xm unit to the same station. It works on mine but to me its not clear as I would like. They have some other unit that is another 30.00 that directly hooks into the antenna. I have been looking and found a plug I can put in the back of my Pioneer that gives an input for rca cables. The output is a headphone jack, they have head phone to male rcas and I think that may be the route I go to see if I can get better sound quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
George: The relay does switch when the Sirius tuner is turned on. From the Radio Shack website.....

This relay directly connects the "FM Out" signal from the PNP unit's internal FM Modulator to the head unit FM antenna connection for superior audio performance. Internal relay switches between SIRIUS operation when PNP is powered "on", and AM/FM pass-through operation when PNP is powered off.

Officially, you do not need an adapter as the Sirius radio will have a built in FM transmiter (with very few exceptions as there is a few special portable radios that do NOT have the built in transmiter).

You may get some static and loose some sound quality with just the FM transmiter, if so, by the antena adapter as it is a direct link and the noise/static will be gone.

Thank you all for the replies. I am going to go ahead and order it and give it a whirl. Jose, Yes i am planning to route the antenna through the 3rd brake light. I know there was a project on this some time ago but it shouldn't be too difficult.

thanks

Jim,

I did some research and apparently the FCC made Sirius lower the output of the fm signal on the newer radios. My old Sportster Replay sounded great with just the wireless fm transmitter but my new Sportster 5 had some static. I picked up one of the antenna adapters like you posted and now it sounds great!

It was very easy to install. The "box" fits nicely in the center console.

George