Silverstar Fog Light Bulbs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyates

Reaction score
Just an heads up. I just found some Silverstar 9145ST's for our fog lights on Ebay for $11.99 each. Seller had about 20 of them to begin with but after my puchase is down to about 6 left. I do not have the Ebay link (I am at work and blocked from Ebay) but search for Silverstar 9145 and you will see them. I am not affiliated in any way with the seller, just passing along a great buy!! In my case since my ST and my wife's Explorer both use this bulb I bought 4 to upgrade all of them. I have upgraded the headlamps in both to Silverstar Ultras and am very impressed, so now the fogs will match the white light look. :supercool:

I had SilverStars headlights on my 2001 Sport Trac and moved them over to my 2003 Sport Trac, but I never switched over the Foglights.

I think the SilverStars were a great upgrade to the Sport Trac OEM headlights, but some people complained about short bulb life? I did not have that problem. I think the trick to long bulb life with any Halogen bulb is to not touch it with your bare fingers or it will leave some oil from your skin on the bulb and that will shorten the bulb's life. Always wear gloves or handle the bulb with a clean cloth.

I put Silverstar headlight bulbs in my Toyota about 2 years ago, and they are still working just fine.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto what Richard L said about bulb life. I put a pair of SS 9007's in my Trac back in 2004. When the SS Ultra's came out around 2007, I bought a pair of them for the Trac and moved the original SS 9007's to my RV (Ford E450 Super-Duty Chassis), and they're still going strong. I also run SS H13's in my Mustang and wife's 2008 Mariner. SS Ultra H13's were recently released, so I'll be changing out the Mustang and Mariner soon. Still need to install SS 9145's in the Mariner fogs too.

I also run SS bulbs in the tail lights and backup lights of the Mustang and Mariner. Also run SS 3157NA's in the front turn signals on the Trac.

Only SS I've had fail on me is one of the front turn signal 3157NA's and that was about three years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see you guys have had good longevity with the Silverstars. I was a little concerned about that when I replaced the headlamps, but after seeing the difference in lighting even if they have a shorter life it is worth it to me!! I am looking forward to receiving my fog bulbs already!!

I have a set of 9005 all-weather bulbs that I got from J.C. Whitney several years ago for the Ranger I had. Tried a few times to install them in the Trac and can't get the bastiges in.

Johnny O,

I think ramren16 is refering to the fact that the 9005 bulbs have to be modified to fit in the foglight's 9145 socket. This issue was discussed nearly 10 years ago when the Siverstars came out.

If I recall correctly, there s a small plastic knub/bump/pin on the base of the 9005 bulb that prevents it from fitting in the 9145 foglight socket.....Simply identifying and removing this small piece of plastic with a file or grinder on a dremel tool will allow the 9005 bulb to fit right into the 9145 socket.

...Rich

Latest posts