Should the AC compressor cycle with the heat on?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know that the compressor cycles on and off with the AC on controls set to deffrost/ bi mode/ etc...) but if I have the thermostat on the heat should my compressor still cycle on and off?

it cycles to run the a/c to dehumidify the cabin air down to the mid-30's outside air temp, then it shuts off and you get straight heat..

I was under the impression. It cycles to keep the system lubed. Mainly the seals.

My cyles all the time on heat cycle. Even when the humidty is very low or non.

Eddie,

It's the outside air temp that makes the difference. When the outside air temp is 32 or below, the humidity drops pretty low as the moisture in the air freezes. So the ac compressor doesn't have to run when the outside air temp is 32 or below.

David,

I understand what you mean. Not very often I drive in temps below 32. So its something I havent knowledge of. Or havent paid attention to it.

Question is where is this temp probe located? That is part of the HVAC.

Cant be the one for the overhead. Not all Tracs have that option.

Thanks.

I believe (and could be wrong - working with a poor memory) that the temperature sensor is located along the lower bumper cover (or whatever it's called) off center about 18". It's small.

Latest posts