Shot in the dark question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Mercer

Reaction score
Hey all...

I've got this annoying vibration that seems to come from around the upper dash or around the steering column. Could really be from anywhere in that general area I guess. But the thing is that I only get the vibration at around 1500 RPM, and only when it's cooler outside. But it's still noticeable enough that it drives me nuts.

This is my second trac and the other one had the same issue, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had, and cured the same thing. If anyone has, I'd love to know what you found.

Thanks everyone,

Randy

Cruise control cable rattle under the hood.

kinda sounds like "nyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh" when your accelerating, then it goes away as soon as you hit the next gear, and only happens during the winter.

Move to a warmer state, your Trac will do better.

Mine does the same thing...

I thought someone here once said that it was caused by a broken clip, that is suppose to hold the cruise control cable in place?

Try this...when you hear it, lightly put your foot on the gas pedal. When I do that, the rattle goes away, the minute I put my foot on the pedal. Hopefully someone that knows for sure posts.

I was planning on tracking mine down this spring when I have more time on my hands. I rarely use the cruise control in the winter anyway.

Brett

Anyone know what the cruise cable looks like and where is it located under the hood?

Also, what type of clip needs to be replaced (any part numbers)?

-Troy

Latest posts