Shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the RS9000XL shocks. Over priced and nothing to write home about. My favorite were Monroe Reflex. I currently have KYB shocks and they are not too bad.

I was really let down with the Rancho 9000's.

Tom

I recently put Monroe Sensatracs on the front, and Monroe airshocks on the back of my '02. I've only put about 350 miles on them, so it's a little early to tell much, but so far I'm happy.

Pretty straightforward. Check the project section. When you do the back ones, remove the spare tire. Then remove the 5 bolts holding the black box above the spare so you can move it out of the way. You don't have to disconnect the hoses, just move the box as you need to. A ratcheting box end wrench for the top of the shocks is extremely helpful.

I felt the same about the Rancho 5000s, they didn't do anything for the ride at all. The worn out ones was almost as good.

I put Bilstein 4600 series set from Summit about 6 months ago and have been quite pleased, hitting a bump in the road no longer feels like a horse drawn cart. This is the first time I have ever used them but I thought I'd try them on a friends recommendation. I would use them again.

I just installed Rancho 5000 on mine, I'm pleased. THey replaced 75,000 mile Rancho RSX and I could notice the improved ride.

Monroe is what I used. Huge difference in ride compared to stock. It's been amazing.

Rancho 9000's and tune them to your liking. Worth the money. Install all four in less than two hours. Simple mechanics tool set all that's required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duane and Kevin, you don't NEED to take the black box out, but it does help.

Also, very straightforward, I followed the project page when I changed all four to Monroe Sensatracs, went very smoothly. Just make sure you have patience... And PB Blaster to get those nuts loose. Spray it on the night before if you want.

Duane and Kevin, you don't NEED to take the black box out, but it does help.

Also, very straightforward, I followed the project page when I changed all four to Monroe Sensatracs, went very smoothly. Just make sure you have patience... And PB Blaster to get those nuts loose. Spray it on the night before if you want.

To be clear - the vapor canister (aka "black box") is not removed - remove the screws, so that it can be moved out of the way.

Latest posts