Shocks Agrh!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Sayre

Reaction score
Just needing to vent. Put on the Rancho RSX shocks, the fronts went on fine. The backs were a horrible. I've done a lot mechanically including rebuilding transmissions, etc. Those **ing shocks in back, whoever designed THAT mounting method should be forced to actually remove shocks for a living. Why oh why would you mount them that way where you can't get to the top of the bolts? Whats wrong with just a plain bolt through? Why why why?

Never did get the shock boots on the rear, but it was getting dark and I need to drive the truck tomorrow to work. I'll pull 'em off over the summer and try again to get the boots on. How do people do it, do they pull the pin out of the shock? Didn't seem to want to come out of the shock bushing at all. I've had rancho before, they never came with the bolt installed already. I know I can get them out, just very frustrated.

And another thing! Why would the expensive after market shocks first come with slightly smaller bolts than the original stock shock? And actually I think one flaw in the aftermarket shock design is the lack of a way to get a wrench on the shock itself. The stock one had this big honking nut-head at the bottom of the front shock top end post, easy to put a wrench on to get the top bolt off. The aftermarket ones don't have this at all. Only way to get them off when you ve got some rust is to pipe wrench the shock body and pray you don't mess it up.

And why do they not put their sticker on the shock body? No, they let the person working on installing the shocks do it, with dirty hands and all. Oh well, never cared much for the sticker anyway, don't know why I bothered.

Rant almost over. Is there supposed to be slight distance between the lower rear shock mount brackets and the bushing? Looks like the steel sleeve is tight in there, but as I recall last time I did shocks, the bushing was touching the sides. Doesn't seem to be rattling or anything, and they are definitely tight back there.

One last thing: What the heck is that box above the rear tire? Never had that on the ranger! Rubber tubes going into it, what the heck is it venting? Is it really needed?

Rant over. Looking forward to the new better shocks tomorrow!

--Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to hear that. it sucks when things like that happen. I had kyb in the back of my lowered st and it was easier than the front. and i did on the street on my bare back. just used a ratchet 13mm wrench for the tops and the bottom a wrencha and socket. the front was actually harder cause I had to hold the shock from spinning. other than that it wasnt that bad for me.

The box you mention is the emissions system charcoal canister and you really should have removed it to get access to the shock. I didn't have any trouble getting the boots on my Rancho RSX's. Top access to the rear shocks is tight, but not impossible. In the factory, shocks go on before they install the bed so they have wide open area to work. Not all maintenance tasks are easy....wait until you try to replace the spark plugs. I haven't got to that point yet but I've heard it can be quite a job.

Yeah, I pulled the spare tire, and removed the bolts to that canister. After that I could get to the bolts with effort, but still: Why not just one large horizontal bolt? Simple and easy. Nothing like having the wrench and nut completely out of sight working with just your finger tips. Ah, they're on for now. Maybe in a few weeks I'll pull them and put the boots on. Looking forward to the drive into work today!

--Bob

Guessing with a 3 inch body lift, a person wouldn't run into the same problems you did? I'm about to upgrade to the RSX's and have the body lift, that's why I asked.

I followed the project on upgrading the shocks and was able to do the job with no hassles. Sorry to hear you had such a bad time. Did you look at the project at all before you started?

Sorry you had so much trouble. The shocks went on pretty easily and quickly for me on my '03. Sparkplugs were pretty easy as well.

Maybe you don't have the right tools?

I've got all the right tools, except for an actia; rachet wrench which would have been nice. Socket wrench only fit on one of the two top bolts, until I got them loosened. I had to hand-tool it on those upper bolts. Overall, the fronts took me about 25 minutes. The backs took me about 45 minutes. Had to figure out how to get the spare down, etc. I think the most frustrating part of that was the little particles that were falling in my face the whole time. The full grown shephard in our back yard barking at me to throw her toy didn't help, and hollering out to the kids to knock it off wasn't helpful either. Never had a problem, just frustrated at a design that could be much better so easily.

Bob - the only interuption should have been to take another drink of you beverage of choice. I think that should be a man law or something.:lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts