Shock question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Kolar

Reaction score
So when I bounce on the back I noticed that there is a bit of a squeak. It may be just the frame, but I don't know if I need to replace the shocks either. The truck is really my dads I just am lucky enough to use it all the time. It gets driven like four miles a day back and forth to school, and tows a boat and snowmobiles every once in awhile. It is all original stuff so I'm sure I will get flamed that it needs to be upgraded NOW. I've read around and found that people on here use either the ranchos or the sensa tracs. How much have people paid, including installation for the two? I do like a more off road feel so if I could convice him to upgrade should I go with the ranchos? Even driving so minimally will I notice a ride difference at all?

Thanks guys

For towing, load adjusting shocks may be another option. Search forums, they seem to be a bargain for less than $100 pr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Search this site for opinions on shocks. KYBs for me - they have a lifetime warranty. Check RockAuto for current rebates on shocks they offer for your Trac.

My personal favorite for all around handling on and off road are Bilsteins hands down. If you are like me, I use my stuff hard out here in the desert southwest trails ect. With the exception of my current pre runner project, everything I own has Bilsteins on all four. The Bilstein shock company was the first and on of only a few companies to valve (build) shocks SPECIFIC to your vehicle. This results in a nice ride for all conditions. :banana:

How hard is it to install shocks on your own? Does it require you to do anything with the tires and alignment. If its not too difficult it would save me money on labor and I could maybe get better shocks.

No alignment needed and can be done without lifting. Highly recommended to spray the shock fasteners with penetrant prior to removal.

Drivers rear top shock bolts are somewhat difficult to access, A 13mm swivel head ratchet wrench will save you lot's of aggravation. GL

Replace all four. The front ones will make the most difference anyway. You'll be surprised how much better the ride will be, no matter which shock you buy. Don't get caught up in the brand. Some people like to justify online how they spend their money but really any set of shocks under $600 is going to be fairly similar from the major brands. Considering the driving it's used for, go with a good brand with the best sale.

Ok that's what I thought about replacing them, and I have a friend who is a real gear head down the street so I can probably get him to help me out which should make my cost only around $200.

Hugh makes a valid point only of replacing all four. Yet these days everyone is on a tight budget. And like anything else, "You get what you pay for!" That being said, I ask ALL my customers, how will they be using the vehicle? If you drive like my dad, then sure go buy some cheapies. They will be better than what you have certainly.

Again, it really depends on budget, and what your end goal is really. Before I buy just about any other non performance "branded" shock, I personally would put OEM units back in place before many other units. Again, the OEM units are for your truck. With many other "brands," fitment can be an issue. Meaning,a shock that might fit your vehicle, might also fit some sort of smaller or bigger, heavier vehicle. In turn, the shock you buy, might be too stiff, too soft or just right. Just like the porridge from the three bears. If I would use Rancho, then for MY needs, I really like the RSX9000's. I have used them for years, and have sold them as well.The Rancho 5000's are nothing more than a heavy duty shock for all around stiffness, but not too bad. They dont like alot of hard use. As the valving fades away rather quickly. I say, if you want to play with ride and handling plus make it fun, then the 9000's are a good fun shock to tune with. Plus, when customers purchase any high performance shock from me, wether its for street or off road, I offer to take them out for a one hour driver training session if they want. Yes, I build, prep cars, and also a professional driving coach. Good luck in your journey. We will support you what ever direction you travel my good man!

Dean, take a look at one of the toys in my library. Hope you like it! Ask me anything, anytime!:haveabeer:

Oh, and lastly, if you pay anywhere close to 600 for all four, you will need to see a doctor! At most on a bad day, you can find just about any good performance shock for 90.00 and under. Speed and handling cost money! Just sayin!:grin:

I havent heard any complaints on this board. About the Valving of the rs5000's on the gen1 tracs going bad.

Whether he was BS'ing me or not. One of Rancho's tech's told me the standard rsx and the the rs5000. Were redundent in design. So one reason the rsx was droped. $$ were the same almost even, $50 range. I have enough miles on my rsx's (monroes reflex). some would say, time to replace. They are still good and performing as they should.

Bilstien is a good shock. In my area, after tax they can run $600 on four corners. They are a mono-tube design more for off road IMO. Mono-tubes run cooler off road, from the work out they get, off road. In my life. I have seen more monotube failures on the street though, than twin tube varible valving. Street service, foaming from any rapid oscillation stayed in the outer chamber of the twin tube. I will say most of those never really went off road. Even though you could duck walk under the truck. They also had some serious unsprung weight with the wheel and tire combo....LOL

Tim, thanks for the advice and I like your truck too. Wish I could get out west to the desert. I'm either gonna look at those ranchos even though you said that they give issues, and also the sensa trac load adjusting shocks. They are around the same price but I do like having a bit of color haha idk gotta work for a few days to make me some cash.

This may slow the bleeding should you decide on the Rancho's. (thru 6/30/13)

...Before I buy just about any other non performance "branded" shock, I personally would put OEM units back in place before many other units. Again, the OEM units are for your truck...

The OEM shocks on the Gen 1 Sport Tracs were total crap from the factory. Ford engineers did the pooch when they selected the shocks for the Gen 1 Tracs. I would be ANY other shock besides the OEM would be a much better shock than what Ford chose.

You are correct that you don't need to spend a lot of money. I paid $120 for a set of four (4)ProComp ES9000 shocks for my '03 Adrenalin from Explorer Express. It took me a couple of hours to put them on (very easy). I could not believe the total improvement to my Trac's ride, handling, stability, comfort, etc.!!!

Hey fellas. Sorry if I came across negatively. The 5000's are a good shock for a heavy duty application for sure. Plus Rancho has a great warranty. Believe it or not and this is sort of an irony but. When we raced a Toyota truck in a Stock desert series way back in the early 90's, we had Rancho's as spares. We ran Fox racing shocks as the primary setup, but if we had a broken part issue with no parts to make a repair, we had Rancho 5000's, 7000's and towards the end, even had a 9000 or two to get us out of a jam. They were great for a lap and a half until they would lay down and die. But for an off the shelf shock, wow! And boy, the looks we would get from other teams. In fact just for giggles, we would sometimes go thru Techinal Inspection with the Ranchos on the front and die laughing on the inside at the strange looks. Yet when we did well once in a while, most fans assumed we had Rancho's on the truck. Of course we changed shocks before the start of the race.:driving:

@Gavin, good point. I never had the OEM units on our ST. We purchased it pretty much how you see it now. I have made huge changes in the overall operation in most areas, interior,exterior, and my specialty high speed chassis setups. Speaking of the Gen 1 poop from Ford. Try finding aftermarket or any other leaf spring bushings. Im speaking directly to the forward unit eyelet bushing as its bolted to the frame. You can find the rears all day long. This applies the the Gen 1's only. Ford for now is the only supplier to carry them, and at a cost of 90.00 per front bushing. Oh yeah, this does not include the nut and bolt. I think a late 90's Explorer Eddie Bauer complete rear system bolts right up, but have not taken the time to measure. Im looking to replace my entire rear suspension with as I mentioned. Im looking for a unit with Disc brakes, 4.10 gears, and a Limited Slip. If I dont find a l/s, then all the better. I really want a Detroit Locker or similar. The only hangup is, my son will be driving it more than me. And as most of us know, driving with a rear locker can be a challange to put it midly.