Shock Life

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Ellis

Reaction score
Got a question. Have had Rancho RSX shocks for about 95,000 miles. Seems to me like the ride is now about what it was with the factory shocks. Rancho shocks are supposed to last forever, so they say. Question: is it just my imagination or do the lifetime shocks really wear out. Tempted to replace them with Monroe Reflex. Rock Auto has the set for $151 with a $20 rebate from Monroe so shipping is effectively free.

So what has been you long-timers experience with shock longevity. A curious mind wants to know.

They are better then OEM as far as how long they will last and operate properly, but they do still wear out over time...

Bill- This issue came up on 4/5/10 on another post "Monroe Shock Warranty".

With the original receipt you may be able to get the Rancho shocks replaced free of charge.

The Monroe site clearly states this in their "Limited Lifetime Warranty". Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Bill,,Long time no hear from you.

I also have the rancho rsx. The warranty is lifetime. They do wear out though. You should be able to get them replaced where you bought them. But I heard they dont make the rsx anymore. Havent checked it out though.

I bought mine from JCW, in late '04. Im not sure how to replace them when that time comes. I should have bought them local. But JCW had them on sale, plus I had a discount coupon. I can tell the fronts are getting softer.

If you have to buy new. The reflex is good. Same shock. The difference is rsx has silicone poly bushings and silicone boots. The reflex has standard type bushings and steel sleeves.

I have used monroe on other cars for years. Never had a warranty problem. As long as I had my reciept of purchase. From my understanding the limited life warranty is for the original purchaser.

BTW, your the one that convinced me to get the rsx. They are great shocks. Glad I got them. If I have to buy. I will probably go with reflex because of price for 4 will be over $100 less than rsx.

I don't have the receipt and can't remember where I bought them. Not worried about the cost. Can get the full set of Reflex shocks for about $140 [after rebake until 5/31/10 and shipping] from Rock Auto. I've noticed lately that the springs are starting to oscillate after a bump and that "Floating" feeling of the original shocks.

I don't show up here very often. Have had my Trac for 6 years and 98K miles with no problems at all. It's my daily driver and my wife's yard project material hauler. My project of late is building a Ford 27T Roadster. Have engine, tranny, both axles and frame might be here next week. The Trac is my truck; the 27T will be my toy.

Bill, I just went through this last month. I had over 100K on mine and no receipt. BTW, the RS9000's (RS99229 and RS99185) are the one's they don't make anymore. Now it's the RS9000XL (RS999229 and RS999185).

If you call Rancho's warranty dept, they will replace them FOR FREE :banana: if you fax them a couple things. They need a copy of your vehicle registration and some sort of receipt that shows you have owned the Trac for over a year. Make sure you have the part number of the shocks handy too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Average shock or strut life expectancy is about 35,000 miles. People may think they they are getting more but they don't feel the very slow degredation over time so they don't notice it and therefore think that nothing is wrong. The last set of Reflexes I changed for a customer lasted a whopping 6 months...I've said it before and I'll say it again MONROE SUCKS and no shock or strut no matter who makes it lasts forever.

Latest posts