Shock Life Expectancy?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Lang

Reaction score
Well, after 3 years of slamming through corners, hauling loads, frequent yet not extreme off-roading, long mountainous roadtrips, city commutes, bad ball joints, and just generally driving it like I stole it, my Rancho RSX 5000 shocks seem to be shot.

3 years, 41,000 miles. That seems a bit early to me, but what does it seem like to you guys?

These things are beat and ridiculously rusted now. They've seen better days.

I don't want to part with them, but right now, despite having BOTH upgraded sway bars, my ST handles almost as badly as it did with the 100% stock suspension. :cry::cry:

Any coupons/special offers for shocks that I don't know about? :grin:

Actually that is about normal life span. Most vehicles on the road do have bad shocks/struts, they wear out so progressively that the drivers get used to it and never sense that anything is wrong

If you have the rsx or the rs5000. They are life time warranty. If they are the rsx. They will be replaced with rs5000. The rsx is out of production.

How do you get a warranty on ranchos?

I bought them from some only Jeep place years ago as someone suggested it from here. Mine are all rusted and are in need of being replaced.

Whit

You will need proof of purchase. Then contact, gorancho.com. They should be able to tell you how to warranty.

Rancho and Monroe are made by the same company and should be warranted to the original owner for as long as he/she owns the vehicle through the place of purchase. If the "Jeep place" is still in business, they should be able to hook you up. If not, try this link to send them a note and ask for help:

Just a thought. When you support your local parts store they'll probably be there to help with warranty down the road. I had Rancho's on my 96 F150 and O'Reilly twice warranted the guys (100K on a lifted truck).

:soap:

Last edited by a moderator:
So Rancho, knowing that shocks wear out, will replace them for free for eternity?

That sounds pretty cool...so cool that I'm a bit skeptical.

Unfortunately, where I bought my shocks from is no longer around, AFAIK. (Erstwhile MyST site sponsor)

So Rancho, knowing that shocks wear out, will replace them for free for eternity?

Most major shocks have lifetime warranty. They are betting on you will loose the reciept, get rid of the car or change brands...LOL

I bought my rancho rsx's from jcw. Not sure what to do when I need warranty. Cant drive around without shocks. If I have to return them first...LOL

I got a special price and free shipping at the time. I usually dont mail order these types of parts, but I saved more than $100 at the time. Over anything local.

My OEM shocks started showing wear at 90,000. Now that's noticeable wear. My front tires started to cup. So I am sure replacing them at 70,000 would be a good place to start. Honestly I should have replaced them in the first 1,000 miles. I like the thought that a ST rides like a bus, so true.

Latest posts