Shock advice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Tune

Reaction score
My wife drives our 02 Sport Trac daily. The stock shocks have failed after only 128,000 miles. You can't buy quality stuff anymore LOL. Our Trac only roughs it when it snows (Middle Tennessee) and the rare occasions my son and I camp. I would like someone to recommend a shock for the truck, more for ride than performance as I cant really play with it until I can afford to buy her a new vehicle $$$??? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Those seem to be the consensus. I just bought Rancho RS5000s and they will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait.

If you decide to go with the Monroe's, try the link below. I found them to have really good prices and free shipping. I ordered a set of Reflex struts from them and received them in about 7-8 days(came from Cali.) This is not to say you can't get them locally, But I highly reccomend them. Just shop around for the best price. Bob

Check Amazon for comparison pricing. (Monroe, KYB, etc.)

Shocks are heavy, real kicker is their free super saver shipping.

Price was almost 40% less than my local vendors. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
Correction, the stock shocks were failed as your Trac rolled off the transporter when new. :throwup:

I put Sensa Tracs on my old '05 at 12,000 miles, big improvement. I have since found out that the NAPA store brand shocks are really Sensa Tracs at half the price. Sensa Tracs if you're mostly on-road and want a good ride.

JohnnyO,,your right. I realized how crappy the stock shocks were @ 1500miles. Imediatly put Rancho rsx on mine. Been satisfied.

The first week I had my '05 I went over a RR crossing that I'd done many times before. The front end went up, the front end came down, way down, and the torsion bar crossmember caught on a rail and bent. Truck was literally one week old and in a frame shop with chains and Porta Powers having at it.

Later I hit a pavement ripple on I-90 in NY with it and got sideways at 75 mph because the suspension didn't know what the hell to do. Within two weeks I was at Sears getting a set of Sensa Tracs put on. [/ Long story about getting flashy Pro Comp shocks with blue boots by mail order and attempting to install them with missing hardware. Fail.]

Thank you all I will probably go with the Monro with the advise otherwise from l1tech considered and appreciated. The FYI on the NAPA shock being the same is very interesting, and I will shop that price point also. Again, I thank you all javascript:insertAtCursor(document.forms['MESSAGEFORM'].MESSAGE,':haveabeer:')

Latest posts