Shifter is getting stuck

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is my first post here so any help is appreciated. I have an 09 XLT and just the past few days my shifter is getting harder and harder to move. Almost like it's getting stuck. Its at the point now where it feels like I'm going to brake it. It's almost as though this happened overnight. I know it's still under warranty and I should just take it in for service but right now my time is really limited. Can anyone tell me if there's anything I can just do myself?

Someone else will jump in on this, but i recall reading posts where a bolt fell out of the column area and created an issue with the shifter.

I will do search and see if I can find it, but this will peak someones memory I think..

Welcome aboard...

My '07 has sporadic shifter issues. Sure love to hear about the recall since I'm the original owner and I've never heard of it.

'07 ST

Here is what I found in the post about the bolt that falls out or becomes loose...

Ok, before going to a tranny shop, I stopped by the local garage today where we take my wife's car for service. As I started explaining my problem he told me it was the "shift cable". He said this is a very common problem with Fords. He stopped what he was doing, grabbed a socket wrench, and crawled under the dash and reached up into the steering collum, tightened it up and said your done! Told me to go try it out. Once I pulled out I could feel the difference in the shifter. No more play between gears. Goes right into park and no more rolling. And...he didn't even charge me!

Thanks again guys for all your help!

It came from this link...

Isn't the '09 shifter in the console? Still under warranty? Take it in and let the dealer fix it. Ask for a loaner vehicle first so you can do your buisness and pick it up after work. JMO. Bob

Yep, the falling out bolt is a Gen 1 issue, Gen 2's are console shifted. I saw no TSB's for shifter problems for the 07-08-09 model years.

svt1848, will you email me the info?

svt1848:

Thanks for the email. I appreciate it!

'07 ST

Thank you also.

I must have overlooked this TSB relative to the shifter. :banghead: It does not extend to '08-up model though.

07-12-09

INTERMITTENT CONDITION - SHIFTER REQUIRES MANUAL OVERRIDE TO GET VEHICLE OUT OF PARK - VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/14/2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks everyone. I'm just going to have to make time this week to drop if off at the dealer. I'm not a mechanic so I better know my limits and not mess with anything. Ha!

Had the same issue with my '07...got a letter from Ford to bring it in and they'd fix it. I dropped it off and the guy at the desk didn't know what was going on, but when he went to move my truck....he couldn't get it to go into drive. He asked me how I was getting it into drive and I did it for him....took them about an hour to fix the problem and haven't had trouble since.

Latest posts