Shifter/ Electrical

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry Suarez

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I put out a message that I could not get my key out of the ignition. The shifter and its electrical components appear to be the problem. My question is, with 38k miles, will Ford replace the damaged electrical relays and solenoid, or am I out of luck because of my mileage?

Around here, My dealer would probably work with me on that and fudge the numbers if you havent had any service logged in there system over 36k. Doesnt the 5 year 60k cover electrical?

You're out of luck if the dealership is a dick. I had the same issue on my ST, went to the dealership to only piss me off. I took the console off and removed the lever triggered by the soleniod. The only disadvantage was that the truck can be shifted out of park without the hitting the brake. I guess it might be an issue if somebody wants to jack my ST but if they get to that point I wouldn't be a able to stop them anyways. I do want to put in a fuel pump kill switch but I haven't searched the internets for a guide. Hopefully your dealership will cover it.

on the little switch under the shifter lever... if you take a small zip-tie and hold the lever shut until you get it fixed, your key will come out. it will however shift from park without the brake being on but it will only start in P or N

this is a temp fix to get your key out -

Latest posts