Shifter and Clutch kits

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglas Bryan

Reaction score
Im in need of a new clutch kit soon, Ive been looking at the centerforce duel friction clutch kit.

Im looking for a performance clutch kit.

Also Ive been looking into a new shifter.

Looks like hurst is the way to go. Im looking for shorter

shifting. Most likely will be installing them at the same time.

Any suggestions appreciated

Its an 01 sport trac btw

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '01 job 2 ST w/ 5-spd manual. Put in a Spec Clutch Stage II and like it. Also had the tranny rebuilt last August with all the lastest upgrades and it works better than new. I followed Spaceman's (Ed Malinas) lead and went with a Hurst Shifter (see Project) for Ford Ranger. I have seen ads for the Centerforce clutch for the Ford Explorer that you might want to check out too. Good luck and let us know if either of us can be of help.

Just watch the pedal pressure with the centerforce.... They tend to need more leg effort to press the pedal.

Todd Z

Where it says "Find the Right SPEC Product for My Vehicle", choose Ford/Explorer/2001. It will say 2001 - 2003 "Includes Sport Trac". When I spoke to them I told them what I had on the vehicle, type of driving and what I was going to use it for. They recommended the SPEC Stage II. I like it and it does not use a lot more pedal pressure, but a little more. :D

I've heard nothing but good things about the Spec clutches. Many of the guys over on the Ranger forum were using them and seemed to have better results than with the Centerforces.

The Hurst shifters are nice, I used to have one. They tend to have a vibration or buzz to them though, at least they used to. I wrapped mine tightly with rubber from an inner tube and zip tied it on, then put the factory boot over it. That helped add mass and got rid of most of the vibration, although it hid most of the nice chrome stick.

The vibration can be worked out if your Hurst shifter has adjustable stops on it...

IF not, then you have to live with it...

IT took me about 2 days of constantly adjusting them in my bronco II, but I got the noise gone..

Some have slipped nylon caps over the stops, and used heavy thick grease on the pivot too to reduce the noise..

Todd Z

Thanks for all the advice guys, Looks like ill be getting a spec with the hurst ill update

after the works been done.

Also have pictures i need to put on here with the Zabtech CAI Throttle body and C&L MAF.

also putting a spacer for the throttle body looks really good.

Cheers Douger

Latest posts