Shift Gate

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hessan Khan

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Has anyone ever changed their gear shifter from the steering column to the floor console like the newer STs? Can it be done? :cool:

Please and thank you.

Hessank

'01 ST 4x4

I did it! As Jeff said, I have a B&M StarShifter in my high series center console. It's mounted to the air vent inside, and comes out where the cupholder used to be. There's a removable panel where the stick shifter would be in the floor under the console, which is where I cut the hole to run the cable to the transmission. I fabricated the cable end to fit the shift lever on the tranny, and I also upgraded to B&M's high performance cable, and wrapped the Y-pipe with exhaust wrap to keep from burning the shifter cable. And I also grinded down a little on the first gear trigger stop to allow the shifter to reach the full range from P to 1. And since these pictures, the console has been fiberglassed to tidy up the hole and prepare it for a leather boot.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here ya go... :D

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodger,

It's just exhaust wrap. Last I checked it was about $40 for a 50ft roll, and about $10 for the metal straps.