She's totalled

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Stadnicki

Reaction score
Well I was driving home today (within 1 mile) and someone tried to cross a two lane highway in front of me. I ended t-boning a Lexus SUV at 45+ MPH. My baby is totaled, I'm sore and my beagle is spending the night at the emergency vet due to possible internal injuries and shock. The other driver was medivaced out to a trauma center. After spending 5 hours at the vet, I went to see my ST and the body shop guy was suprised I was walking, he said that was a bad accident. He had my truck out back wrapped up in plastic to protect it. He wasn't open but offered to unwrap it so I could get my stuff out. It's late and I was tired, going to empty it out and take pics tomorrow.

We both have USAA for insurance and police and witnesses said other driver was obviously at fault. I've heard from others that USAA will def take care of me. My thing is that, now i'm out a truck and got to start over again in car payments. I wish I could just wake up in the AM and see a new ST in the garage without any hassles.... Sad, I'm not finding many ST's out there to get another one with same options or and Adrenalin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you were able to escape without to much injury. Hope the best for you, your dog, and the other driver. I'm sure youll be able to find another ST.

As long as everyone involved survived and will be ok then you can always replace the truck. Check out eBay I've seen some nice tracs on there cheap lately. Not sure if you'd want to go back to another 1st gen but there's quite a few on there. If the truck was paid off you should get blue book on it from insurance, right? That's if you have full coverage. Good luck with the search and hope everyone involved gets better soon.

It's should be up to the insurance company to make sure that you have either the cash value or an identical vehicle.

Don't worry too much about it right now, focus on yourself and your dog for a while. You need it.

Man, sure glad you and the pup are okay. Our pets are another member of the family. I know mine is. Hope the other driver is okay too. Be glad you weren't in the Mustang, it surely would have been worse! You'll find another Trac but I know how you hate to lose your "personal" one. Today or tomorrow you'll find out what "sore" really is!

Glad you and your pup are ok.

I agree, having payments after not having them will be upsetting. However, you are going to have a large amount to act as a down payment, so the payments won't be too big or for too long.

I have NEVER heard a negative thing about USAA.....

Glad you are OK, and I hope your dog recovers.

To protect your interests, you should get a lawyer. Since this wasn't your fault, you should be compensated with a replacement, equivalent truck without having to to spend one dime of your own money. Go to the doctor yourself and get checked out. Even though you might feel OK now, you could've suffered injuries that manifest later on. If you don't, and you have med problems after settling the claim, you're SOL. Also, the other party should pay for a rental until you can get a new vehicle.

Your vet bills should also be paid by the other party or their insurance company.

Most lawyers in these cases work for a percentage of the settlement, so don't hire one who asks for up front money. You should have a pretty cut-and-dry, textbook case.

Stad,

TrainTrac has some good advice about getting a lawyer. Just be careful with such lawyers. Most are ambulance chasers, IMHO.

Since the other guy has insurance with your same carrier and it seems a clearcut case of being his fault you SHOULD expect no hassle and no lawyer needed to get reimbursed for the following, especially if you are NOT in a no-fault state:

- total market value of your vehicle if it is totalled (that is not necessarily the same as replacement value, especially if you have a bunch of mods).

- rental car, for a few days, but if your vehicle is totalled don't count on too many. Rental cars are for when your car is laid up and getting fixed. If your vehicle isn't getting fixed, well, you get the picture.

- Your vet bills.

- Your doctor bills. You SHOULD go to the doctor and get checked out, if you haven't already.

Now, the above is what you should be able to easily get without a lawyer given your current situation. As TrainTrac said, you may want a lawyer to protect yourself in the future should there be complications....OR, if you plan on suing the other party for some type of pain, suffering, mental anguish. Some think the latter is a d-bag move...I'm not going to comment.

If you go to a doctor and you think you are fine, and if your dog lives, then you may wish to count your blessings and let sleeping dogs lie. However, if you want to protect yourself for what might happen down the road with injuries that manifest later on, then essentially you need a lawyer, and they will shake the trees now. If your dog dies you probably want to talk to a lawyer too.

Like I said above, you shouldn't need a lawyer to pay for those things you are "out of pocket". However, if you want to make the other party pay additional monies, you need a lawyer, and most will work "on the come" (they take 25, 30, or 40% of your settlement).

Just be careful of the lawyers that advertise on daytime TV and start their commercial with: "If you have been in an accident or injured in an accident then..."

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad to hear. Glad you are ok and I hope your pup will be.

I have USAA also. They have been good to me. The last claim was in '08.

Total on an '01 Ford Escape. I looked up on several sites the value. I was expecting $8k to $9K pay out. They offered $12K. That was top condition retail. I was so pleased I thanked the adjuster. She asked, you think that is fair. I said yes without divulging the value info I knew.

Had few other small claims the last 20 yrs. They always came thru. I hope USAA treats you well also.

2 years ago a lady ran a red light at 50 MPH and took the front end (engine included) off my wifes Edge. We carry USAA and so did the other driver. USAA cut us a check for $25K within 4 days. The value of the Edge at the time was closer to $20K. They took into consideration the age of the tires, and even how much gas we had in the tank. The check was just to replace the car. Of course they continued to cover medical expenses for months after the accident.

USSA will hook you up. No worries.

I am glad you are OK and sorry for your loss.... nice ST. Glad the dog is ok too.

USAA is awesome!! But, still watch your deal..... make sure you are taken care of and are happy with the settlement. If not, don't sign anything and hire a lawyer.

My neighbors next door had some friends over one night and they sideswiped the Focus when leaving. They had USAA also and it was the least painful processes I have ever dealt with. Called 'em, they said where do you want to take it, they said ok, and a rental car was waiting there for me when I took it in.

Glad you're okay too. My wife totaled our 2004 trac the same way, except a lady driving a 2002 pulled out in front of her, totaled both of them. Got a 2010 Adrenalin to replace it. She loves it.

Latest posts