Shell Gasonline

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremiah Morgan

Reaction score
So I have used QuickTrip gas for years. During my 2 automotive degrees we have tested gas and quicktrip has always been great. But the other day I decieded to try Shell gas. No ethanol No Alcohol. WOW...Holy Cow what a Improvement in not only performance but gas mileage. On the first tank full I went up 1.5 MPGs. And the performance was Very noticable. So if anyone isn't using Shell gas. I highly suggest it!!

Here in FL I believe it's a requirement to use the corn ethanol in fuel. I hate the stuff.

Here in Texas. They claim a new formula, nitrogen or something. It is still 10% ethanol though.

The Ethanol used in gasoline is purely a farm subsidy in my opinion and does nothing for our oil dependency. Gas mileage and performance goes down while food prices are higher. And people want the government to run our health care? I think not!

Only "solution" in Hawaii is fueling at any marina. No "road" taxes or ethanol requirements.

We get forced to use 10% during winter, and then without it during the summer. Can't figure that out. Some stations go with 10% all year, others only winter. Go figure. My wifes hybrid gets lousy gas mileage during the winter (around 30 instead of 35).

Never liked the stuff. To me, its like filler, doesn't do anything other than allow less gas but charge just as much.

Apparently in Florida it is a requirement to have 10% ethanol, at least that is what the pump says...

The ethanol is in there for emissions reduction. Remember the big deal a couple of years back about oxygenated gas? Most states have banned MBTE because it pollutes groundwater, so ethanol is used instead.

Todd C's correct. It was Federally mandated that 10% Ethanol replace MTBE as an additive nationwide back in about 2004 I believe.

Though I can't help but think that the farm lobby had a great deal of influence in this also. Ethanol already can't survive in the open market without subsidies, so having the Fed gov't make it a mandatory additive to gasoline would be a plus for an industry that is already sucking taxpayer dollars in the form of subsidies to survive.

In the long run though, does it really reduce emissions? With all the extra emissions caused by the production of ethanol (tractors, combines, grain trucks, etc.) and the fact that it can't be transported by pipeline, it seems like it burns more fuel to produce it.

I usually use Shell for it's additives. Seems to keep the engine cleaner. Can't say it helps any with mpg. A lot of people will tell you gasoline is gasoline not matter what brand you use but that's not the case.

Gas is gas and usually comes from the same supplies from what I understand, but the additives are different. Also, some stations' tanks might have an older supply and/or more water or crud in them.

I have an uncle that retired from gas and oil research. Engine analyes division. He said the difference in gas is the additives, detergents. He also told me to switch up brands sometimes. He said all brands detergents leave deposits, that others will clean up..

I am filling my diesel with Biofuel. Runs just as good as diesel in the summer and it is about 50 cents per gallon cheaper than diesel. I'm still getting around 50 MPG and saving money, so who cares if my car smells like KFC as I drive by? :D

I used to work in refineries once in a while. The same trucks that pick up gas for the cheapie mart get the fuel from the same source as the "top tier" fuel scam.

Tom

If the name brand gas is the same price as no-name or convenience store-brand gasoline, why not play it safe and just buy the name brand stuff?

My BP store is a block away from a place owned by a local farmer's coop and another place known to have watery gasoline and 10% ethanol. The BP pumps don't carry the "Contains 10% ethanol" stickers that the other two have. All three stations' product costs the same. I'd be nuts not to buy the BP gasoline.

Latest posts