Shallow Sub Recommendations

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keola P

Reaction score
I'm looking to complete my audio system with a single 10" sub and amp.

I want to keep the interior as clean as possible, passenger friendly, and don't want to do any cutting or major modifying for the sub enclosure, so I decided that a shallow mount sub would be the best route for me to take.

Right now, as far as 10" shallow mount subs go, my options are the kicker CVT, rockford p3, pioneer premier, alpine s, and kenwood excelon.

Anyone have any recommendations or have heard any of these subs in action?

JL Audio W0 series

Jl Audio W3 series

Memphis S class

RE Audio SL series

Kicker CVT

Kicker Solo Baric L5

They all sound awesome. I'm partial to JL Audio.

Kenwood Excelon 10" for me. I glassed my box to fit in the compartment space behind the seat, so no cutting required. Run it with an Alpine MRP-M500 amp. Sounds very good. It is not thunderous, chest collapsing bass, but for one 10", it does very well and matches the rest of my system great. I would recommend one.

I personally have 2 Kicker CVT shallow mounts in a custom enclosure behind the rear seats

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

I don't have the pictures beyond this at work, but i now have everything on the rear wall sound-deadened and the plastic panels back on....the truck absolutely pounds with 2 of these, and i keep the gain to the subs at only +2....the seats go up all the way and there is no intrusion to any passengers.

I would imagine though that 1 would be plenty of you just want to add some bass without punishing your ear drums.

of course, I've never had any other shallow mounts, so my advice is bias.

Oh, and this was my first box - also fiberglassed. it turned out to be too small for 2, but it would be perfect for just 1 sub at about 1.0 cubic feet. one of the sub openings could be sealed.....;)

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I am really happy with my memphis's. They beat really hard and they fit behind the seat pretty well.

They are still relatively new but can be had for a very reasonable price. I got mine for $130 a piece. The plexi face in the pictures is not the one i ended up using. It wasnt thick enough.

by the way they are recommended to only have .3 cuft. of airspace. I had them in a slightly larger than that enclosure and ended up takin it down to the exact recommendations and the sound got even better. Thats not a lot of space for a 10"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips guys...

I narrowed it down to the premier sub and rockford p3. I'll keep you guys posted.

Any tips on sound deadening the doors. Been wanting to get rid of the occasional rattle and vibration issues...

I really like those Solo Baric L7 units. I would have bought them but the JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 just work perfectly for my application. Just can't beat two ported 8s at 250w each. I'd also have to have 450w rms each for the L7s to be in their glory.

If I tire of the two 8" ported JLs I think I will be trying L7s or L5s if I can afford a much larger amp.

My Fiance, Amanda, has Rockford Fosgate 12" subs and they sound amazing in her ported enclosure. That isn't really the impressive part. She has had them for 8-9 years without a single issue. That's becomes even more impressive when you consider that they have been moved through 4 vehicles.

They make good stuff.

I have owned some 12'' L5 Solo Barics and man do they pound! I have always loved those square subs. Infact when I get around to putting an under seat box in I am having it built to handle a L7 8''. Should sound pretty good when its done hopefully. :cool:

Hey big D any way you could help me with the info for your build? That is the same set up I want but not sure on how big 2 build the box, I'm also somewhat inexperienced in car audio but will do my best.