Shaken Marbles?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Mercer

Reaction score
Ok i have an 04 ST, with 95k Miles on it. Ive done some work to it, but nothing major (belt tensioner, belt, basic tune ups, A/t Flush / fill, and oil flush fill). I have been noticing that sometimes while driving between 50-65 mph at ~ 2-3k rpms, i hear a sound that sounds like someones shaking marbles, or ballbearing (metal clanking sound). Its not overly lound and changes with the load on the engine. I was thinking suspension, but it does it every now and then at a stop/idle. I just have to turn the wheel to get it to stop, but it starts up after a moment. I have had several people pitch in, all with different theories, but nothing that I can trust. Im personally pointing at the either the Water pump, or the power stearing pump! Is there a way to tell if these are the problems?

O and btw, it kinda sounds like its comming from the the pedals, but i figure thats just where there isnt alot of sound proofing.

ok, how would moving the steering wheel at a stand still, get it to stop? Can i punch them out? LOL J/K. Do i need to replace all 4? If so wouldnt it just be cheaper to have an exhaust from headers back installed?

Run the tank low and fill up with the next higher octane rating fuel. What you are hearing might be pinging.

Tom

I'm gonna guess it's probably the timing chain rattle.

When moving the steering wheel you change the engine RPM's thus the timing chains are spinning slower.

This a fatal condition with your vehicle. There is no known cure or fix for this problem. You need to sell the truck immediately and get right down to the Ford dealer and order a new model which has been reengineered to eliminate that problem. Good Luck, BC :smile0017:

Latest posts