Shackle on Leaf Spring

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Chatten

Reaction score
Hi,

I just had my 02 serviced at Sears ( tires, etc ) and I have a "squeeking" coming out of the rear end. The mechanic told me that it is the "shackle on the leaf spring". He told me they didn't have the ability to fix it and to bring it to a local mechanic.

Q's ---

a) Is this something a local mechanic should be able to fix or should I consider a "specility" type of shop?

b) What is the ball park to fix it ? $ I want to make sure that I am not getting taken to the cleaners :grin:

c) Should I get both sides fixed or take the approach - if it is not broken don't fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

02 - 105,250

Are the bushings deteriorated or in relatively good shape? If good, try spraying some silicone into them and then bounce the vehicle to work it inside.

Paul,

I am willing to take on some projects with the truck ( thanks to this site and projects ), but I would not have any idea one with or the other on that question. I want to say that the Sears mechanic said the shackle was "broke" but I am not 100% sure. I'll crawl under tomorrow when it is not raining and see if I can tell one way or the other - or - even take some pics.

Thanks for the reponse.

Dan

This would be a very simple project to do yourself. 30 minutes with very basic tools. You can pick up replacements at any autoparts store.

I called my mechanic after posting this thread and he told me to bring it down. He put the truck on the lift in a bay he had opened and showed me what needed to be changed. I left it there and he's going to fix it tomorrow. I didn't ask - "how much?" but I assume the damage will not be too bad. @Hugh - Yea, after he showed me what was broke, I almost had the insane thought of... "Hell, I might be able to fix that myself " :).... It's there... he can fix it tomorrow... it was easier to leave it.

I did my part for the economy this week --- :banana:

Latest posts