Shackle Mounts instead of Tow Hooks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 68550

Reaction score
In the search for Gen2 tow hooks, I wound up installing a Curt 31545 front receiver, but never liked the way the receiver hung so low to the ground. Here's what one looks like with the receiver part cut away and a pair of 3/4" x 3" x 5-1/4" Shackle Mounts welded to the sides.

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with it. For those interested, the shackle brackets came from comp4x4.com, p/n DIY0003. They are welded all the way around, with 2.25" sticking out in front. More pictures in my library.

Are they USA made? There have been disastrous stories of the Chinese D-rings on many 4x4 forums.

The D-rings in the picture are made in the USA, stamped with the 6-1/2 Ton rating. I have a couple of the Chinese ones, but I don't use them (except in a pinch).

this is tempting to do, when I have some extra cash I might have to steal this idea. Never know when you might need some front hooks... Do you think it would work with a bull guard on as well?

I don't think you'd be able to also mount a guard without more custom fabrication. Four of the 6 bolts for the hitch assembly use the same frame holes taken by the Aries B35-3005 I used to have.

Latest posts