Severe vibration in the front end. Boot torn on CV joint half shaft!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Been noticing a click and vibration in the front end at all speeds. After an inspection of the front end, the CV joint half shaft assembly boot was torn into pieces, metal shavings and grease everywhere. A local mechanic I trust really well quoted me $200 with tax for the parts and labor. He would put on either a Moog or Cardone half shaft assembly. He told me I was very very lucky its was close to separating completely.

Is $200 a good price? Lifetime warranty on the parts. Is Cardone a solid brand? I know Moog is good but not sure they make half shafts. Motorcraft was too expensive at almost $300 for the part alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
The price isnt bad....youre looking at least 70 bucks for parts if you do it yourself. So if you wanna save 130 and do it yourself, its not that difficult. (Considering Ive replaced my right cv axle once and my left one 3 times)

Never even heard of Cardone, so I honestly have no idea about the brand. I know NAPA makes good parts, they might be a little bit more expensive though, but it will be worth it if they have it in stock.