Serpentine belt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had my serpentine belt replaced at the dealer a couple months ago thinking I would get parts made in the USA. To my surprise looking under the hood the other day, the belt is made in Thailand. So much for trying to buy American.

Eddie,

Why did you think the replacement parts used by the dealer would all be made in America?

No offense, but it's not like all of the original parts were USA made.

Many people like to think they are buying USA to feel good, but there are very few products these days still made, exclusively, in the USA.

Consider this: It's very possible that cheap(er) serpentine belt and other foreign made parts like it allows Ford to keep costs low so that they can keep the company running and thousands of Americans employed. If they used all "Made in America" parts (even if available) the cost of the end products might probably be too high for most consumers.

TJR

Great point, TJR! I felt the same way for a while now, but I realize we would not have access to a lot of things affordable enough if they were made in America only. Heck, I called the IRS once a couple of years ago and to my nosiness to the reps accent, I asked if he was in Austin Texas, and he said no, he was in India! Imagine that!

Eddie,

No one is saying that we will become a consumer based economy only. We just won't be, and aren't anymore largely a manufacturing based economy. We have become a services-based, and knowledge-working based economy.

TJR

Latest posts