Serpentine belt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprised there isn't a project written. A five minute job, and 1/2 wrench difficulty rating.

Many here have used a Gates, Goodyear, or Dayco belt one half inch shorter than stock.

Search "serpentine belt" all posts for detailed info. A short cheater bar is also recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
15min tops...(but i worked alone)

i used a 3/8 ratchet(as stated on the belt label under the hood) and a 2ft tube for extra leverage(got the shorter belt). just push down the tensioner,remove belt, release tension, route belt, i went from under the truck to pull down the tensioner to slip the belt back on. fairly simple if your good in tight spaces

I recall mainly working from above, except for placing the belt around the crank pully. Quite a simple job, but you may need a thin serpentine lever tool. You can get a loaner from most part outlets.

Im real pleased with the dayco power-cog belt, .5" shorter. I had the gates shorter belt. It still sliped on the power steering pump during acelleration. The dayco, no slipage.

Unless you have or borrow a tool. You will need a cheater bar for leverage.

Used NAPA part number 25-060866 Serpentine Belt and it went on in less than 10 minutes. It has been over 3 months and it hasn't slipped;

How do you know it has slipped during acceleration?

Does it make a weird loud sound?

Is the belt the reason the ST makes a squealing sound during cold start ups in the morning?

How do you know it has slipped during acceleration?

Does it make a weird loud sound?

Is the belt the reason the ST makes a squealing sound during cold start ups in the morning?