serpentine belt squeal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Stevens

Reaction score
I recently replaced the serpentine belt, idler pulley and tensioner pulley. about 2 weeks later the serpentine belt started squealing... serpentine belt was replaced with a half inch shorter dayco polyrib belt... everything is aligned and working properly... while the engine was running I put a ratchet and socket on the tensioner pulley and applied very gentle pressure to release some tension off the belt and the squealing stopped, but when I take the ratchet off and the tensioner pulley applies full tension to the belt it starts squealing again... could it be possible that the serpentine belt is too tight and causing it to squeal?

when you buy belts remember Gates , they have an anti-squeal compound. sounds like the short belt is too tight causing the squeal.

I have the same belt for 3yrs. No problem. Still have the oem tensoner. The idler is from my underdrive kit.

Make sure the belt is only .5" shorter only....

new tensioner and shorter belt might cause a squeal. How loud? Did any coolant get on it? Maybe just give the tensioner/belt some time to "loosen" a little. I remember I did this(shorter belt) about the same time as you did. Also, starting a few weeks ago, mine will give off a VERY faint squeal(windows down) for a minute or two(especially when its cold out)then goes away. But, I believe mine to be because I bought mine (gates) from rockauto on a wholesale closeout. The packaging around the belt was very faded. Like it had been hanging around for years. Try out your old belt. Maybe the tensioner is applying to much tension. IIRC you got a acdelco tensioner(?) I went Gates for the tensioner. Also, when you are relieveing tension, youre also releveing tension off all the pullys. So it still may be one of the pulleys. Drizzle a drop of water on the belt. If it instantly goes away. Then you know its not a pulley. Good luck

A loose belt would more likely cause squeal from the belt. Any black build up on the idler pulley?

Last edited by a moderator:
This may sound crazy, but a few years back I had that issue on a different vehicle. Per my brother's suggestion, I bought an oem belt. The problem stopped. May be worth a try. If you want a shorter one, they probably have one.

I also have a problem believing that using a 1/2" shorter belt (K060860) could be the culprit .

Many Gen 1 owners have used one without an issue. Remove the belt and check elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the gates, that was .5 shorter. My power steering still sliped. When I installed underdrive pullys'. I used the dayco poly-rib, .5" shorter.

I have no slippage or noise. I can do a WOT in a curve and not loose power steering.

If you need a new tensonor. Get the gates brand. It has a better design spring. It is flat wound...Not spiral coil.

Flat wound is more stable and retains its tension,and shape for longer life.

Latest posts