Self Powered subs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Tollison 3

Reaction score
What do you think about self powered subs? I am wanting to upgrade my speakers and get a sub and have been looking at selfpowered subs. I like the Infinity Basslink 10" Self Powered Sub. It would save me some room. I might also go with Infinity Reference 6812cf 6"x8" 2-Way Speakers for the doors. Would this be a good setup? What do I need to do to hook up the selfpowered sub. Never installed speakers before so I am clueless. Thanks for the help.

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed a Kenwood powered sub in my '01 and liked it. Nothing earthshaking, but it filled in where the speakers dropped off.

[Broken External Image]:

I replaced the stock head unit with a JVC that had pre-outs for the sub. I just ran RCA's to the sub, and hooked up the power. I used a bolt near the rear seat as the ground point.

Todd, that looks real nice. Is it easy to take out if you need the space? I take the ST camping a lot, and sometimes I use every square inch behind the seats. I'd love something like that I could take out when I needed the space.

In my pre-ST days, I used to have a nice little powered sub that I got off Overstock.com, but it appears they don't have them anymore. It was only like $90, and it was a Bazooka knock-off, but it was great. If I ever needed that space in the trunk, I just unhooked it and put it in the garage. I hated to get rid of it, but it was too big for the ST.

I can vouch for the Infinity Basslink. A friend has one and it sounds great. Only problem was he had to purchase some special type of ?hook up connector? which cost him extra cash for his application

The Kenwood used a plug in wiring harness, so removal wouldn't be too difficult. I don't know how their current model is set up, the one I have is a couple of years old.

Todd C, I was looking for a sub like yours, but Kenwoods website said it was discontinued.The had a Kenwood KSC-SW1 as a replacement. I think I might get it and mount it under the rear passenger seat. My Pioneer DEH6800 head unit has the rca connections, so does this mean that I do not have to splice into any speaker wires?

Latest posts