Seal on rear end

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Hovater

Reaction score
I noticed some oil in my garage that was coming from the rear end. I got under and looked and there was oil coming from where my drive shaft goes into the rear end. How hard is it to replace the seal in that? And what do I need to put back in it? Thanks all!!!!

That is what we call the pinion seal. While it's not hard to replace, doing it wrong can cost you a rear end rebuild. Removing and installing the seal is easy, but retorquing the nut is where the problem lies as there is no torque spec for it. You are supposed to measure the rotational force that it takes to turn the pinion with a inch pound dial torque wrench and then when you reinstall the nut you tighten it until you reach that reading or the preload torque for the pinion bearing. If you overtighten the nut you have to replace the collapsable spacer inbetween the pinion bearings or you run the risk of burning up the bearings, if you leave it too loose the bearings will fail.

All in all a easy job but I recommend you leave this one to the pros.

Last edited by a moderator:
All in all a easy job but I recommend you leave this one to the pros

Ditto, In all I have done and know. Two things I wont do. Any rear differential work and complete auto trans teardowns...

Latest posts