SCUMBAGS! CV axle seal leaking again!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Just my luck! Seal is leaking again. After 7 days. Took it back to the shop and raised holy hell. Their words were its wasn't leaking when we test drove it. My response, well, its leaking now.

They tend to think its left over or residual in the axle that is worked its way out. The fluid is a mix of dark and clear. However, its BS if either way. Regardless its leaking. And this shop is a friend of the families for a very long time. Guess need to head back to the Ford dealer for other repairs, sigh.......

Al,

If it is rebuilt axle. They might have mahinced too mush off the shaft. Because of damage.

If that is the case. They need to mike the shaft. Get the national seal reference book, and get a seal that will seal the shaft. They do make them. we did it all the time at the plant. when we machined a shaft too many thousands for a standard seal.

Or make them mike the shaft. and get one that will seal.

Sounds like they dont know this.

They are replacing the CV axle with a different brand and a new one. They replace the seal with a National brand already. I forget the part number he told me over the phone but he strong believes the machining of the CV is not sitting correctly in the seal. The axle was a rebuilt one, which he admitted to.

I don't think they know that procedure. He didn't mention anything when I brought it up.

I think you are going through what I am going through man...

I went through 3 different CV axles, so I dont really know, but is it possible that they are machining too much off all of them or making the seals not compatible with them somehow?

I got like 3 different National Seals and 2 different brand CV Axles but it just keeps leaking.

Hope they figure it out.

Let me know, maybe it will be the same issue as my ST

George,

Its still leaking after the new CV axle. Yes we are having the same problem. I think the first axle used is a Driveline brand. I'm not sure on the second.

The shop isn't sure whats going on. He's really puzzled too. He's seen this happen on a Toyota before few years back. Where they kept replacing axles and seals until they fit. Its totally possible the front diff is over full. Should be 3/8 below the fill hole.

His words are its strange to complete the job they take it for a 5 mile drive and no leaks. Then I take it home, hop on the freeway the next AM, and it leaks after high speeds. The leak isn't so bad but it weeps out.

I'm taking it back on Monday. I don't have time this weekend to deal with it. Is it ok to email you with what they find?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you can email me, that would be great.

Mine did that too, it wouldnt leak at first, or it would leak and then stop. Its like the seal expands due to the temperature and the leaking stops. But lately it has been just leaking nonstop.

Thanks again

Latest posts