Scuba Diving...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
Hello all,,,,

Been a while. Been very busy. Both in life and with work. Logged in my second time around the globe this year with my flight miles.

Anyone have a good suggestion for mid-March?

I am in Ohio and looking to get to somewhere nice to dive.

Mexico, Florida, Bahamas, ect, ect.

Prefer within the USA, but have no issues with foreign travel.

Prefer the USA as I cam more easily bring my dive stuff plus what I normally carry on the plane, (some of you know what I mean by that)... Outside of the USA, it is a hassle to carry my "working tools"....

Thanks in advance....

KEY WEST!!! Lots to do/see. simple lobster permit, plenty out there, wrecks, reefs. And great night life!! Bob

PS: Cali is too cold, east coast is too murky....

I would go to Hawaii....especially the Big Island.

Great Scuba Diving as well as lots of other things to see an do there. If you have never seen an erupting volcano, it is a once in a lifetime experience. The other Hawaiian islands are very nice, but the Big Island has the most diverse climates and scenery. There are snow capped mountains in the winter months and within a one hour drive you can be on a tropical beach, in an arid desert, or in a tropical rain forest.

...Rich

Top three US Sites.

Mississippi Sound - Zero Visibility - Jelly Fish so thick you could walk on them. 20 foot of water and 20 foot of mud. Great training for finding lost bodies.

New York - They measure the water in parts per million and you get to swim through layers of sludge. Loads of good trash on the bottom. Carry your dry suit or get a lots of shots.

My Personal Favorite - The cooling system of any Nuclear Reactor. Get to look for cracks and leaks. If you find one it's very bad for you.

Outside the US

St Croix. Walls withing 300 yards of the beach. Best night diving I have seen is off the Fredrickstead Pier. 200 foot vis, 30 to 150 feet and lots to take pictures of. In St Croix you can dive a number of sites without a guide.

Redfish,,,

Was a military diver for 18 years. I did the body recovery thing and more often than not in near zero viability. St Croix is a nice place. Been there before, but she has not. We did go to Australia last year, pretty incredible diving there...

When you need to drop an open tank into the water so that the bubbles clear the surface enough to allow you to enter the DIRTY water,,, that is when you wish you were somewhere else...

Rich, being that I fly for a living, I am not real keen on 12 hours to get to Hawaii. That said,,, it is an incredible place. Might look into it as the bonus far out weighs the cons...

Matt,, My girlfriend is open water certified, not advance open water at this time. What are the minimum requirements for your suggested location.

San Salvador, Bahamas. I went there for a research trip for school, then went back to go to "Club Med" which is the all inclusive resort. Small island, not big tourist spot, great diving.

Kauai, Hawaii. Nothing like the big island.

A sport trac/dive meet would be so cool! I'd make the drive for that.

Coastiejoe,

Did quite a bit of recovery diving myself, mostly in zero or very limited vis. Tried to stay in warm water so none recovered/survived. Six different dive certifications and a little over 1000 dives. Did a lots of emergency medical/lifesaving work and it was common for some of the victims to complain about one thing or another. I think it helped them defuse the blame from themselves. I had two cases that we searched for that were false reports of drownings. It's always nice to check the financials of a missing person, in retrospect.

If you decide to go to St Croix. Let me know I will send you a list of good sites you can dive. I lived there for 4 years and was in charge of Buck Island Reef NM. Spent most of my free time diving with my coastie buddy.

Myself I am off again in March to Cayman Brac. Great off the beach diving sites, but the walls you need a charter unless you know where to go. Haven't seen quite as bit of good visablity as down island.

Be Safe

J.B, will look into the all inclusive. Thanks..

Redfish,,

Good info, will look at the options this evening. If we head in that direction I will contact you for additional info. Thanks..

This is making me think I wasted the summer that my grandparents offered to pay for diving lessons if I stayed with them for a summer. I chose traveling baseball instead. I'm not a pro-baseball player, for the record.

Hugh,,,

There really is nothing like it.

It is so very relaxing. I love nothing more than to stand on the ocean floor and watch the world go by.

I have been very fortunate in all of the places I have gone. The military was VERY good to me as far as hitting diving locations all over the world.

Coastiejoe, only open water cert is needed for the cenotes. The reason for this is you can always get to the surface or an air pocket in an emergency. Now if you venture off the guideline, and further into the cave, then you need to have "advanced" .

The lessons I was to receive apparently were in caves. I don't really know the difference between the certifications but I assume that means I would have been pretty well certified. Doesn't really matter, it'll be a few years before I can afford vacations like that.

Ok,,

Ready to book my trip.

One last question.

Anyone dive Key West in mid-March?

If so, what is the weather and water like?

Thanks..

Latest posts