Scan Gauge II

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Childs

Reaction score
Not exactly sure what to categorize this as...

I really want to get the Scan Gauge II, as I love all the nifty things it can do, but I have a question: Can it be hooked up to a computer to monitor and record everything that is going on with the Trac?

I probably should have e mailed the company, but I figured I would get a faster response here

Those of you who have it, how do you like it? Did it meet your expectations? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys

The only interface the gauge has (That I know of) is the interface to the ODBII socket.

However, the cable is removable at the gauge itself, so, if you were so inclined, you could tap into that connection to connect to a computer. However, you would have to know what the signal levels were and come up with your own interface to the computer itself. Plus, you would need some software to interpret what it was seeing. Way beyond my abilities. ;)

Tekmate makes a product that plugs into the OBD2 port and allows you to monitor sensors through a laptop. They're very reasonably priced and work great! Not as small and convenient as the scangauge, but works fine.

[Broken External Image]:

From my driveway, lol

[Broken External Image]:

The ScanGauge site claims that they are "working" on a way to get stored data off of the device and onto a pc via the ethernet connection built in, but they've been saying that since late spring :(

What I don't like is that mine is 6 months old, and I have version 3.01. To get all the cool new features I need version 3.14 or 3.15, and to get them I have to pay 25 bucks and ship it out to them to reflash it. 14 revisions in less than half that many months....someone took lessons from microsoft, but these are improvements, instead of bug fixes (I believe) ;)

They should make their interface to the PC, sell a cable, and let users use the cable and self-flash the unit. Catching up to their goal for the product would fix all the problems it has (which are few, but irritating)

As it is, XGauge sounds so cool that I'll have to scrounge up 25 bucks to mail it out. That's a lot of pennies to pick up off the ground ;)

(that's 25,000 body-weight squats...a cheap workout)

Not a math whiz, huh?

Upping it by an order of magnitude made it sound better. Besides, sometimes you pick up pennies and they're so nasty that they have to go back down from whence they came, or you drop the penny, or you pick up something that you thought was a penny, but isn't.....so you'll be squatting more than 2500 times. Perhaps not 25,000, but it is better to overestimate than underestimate.

and 2500 looked lame anyhow. You're supposed to do 2500 in a week anyhow, so that's not that impressive, but 25,000 would be 10 weeks by that standard, and that conveys a greater sense of challenge and accomplishment.

and accomplishment is what I'm about, gosh!

"Knowledge builds weight, but accomplishment gives luster, and more men see than weigh"--Herodotus, father of history.